THE ALLEN & HEATH VCF FILTER MIX - JAY WALKER [NO EQING, JUST FILTERING!]

jay walker

1/2 of Passive/Aggressive
VIP Junglist
Anyone who has mixed on an Allen & Heath knows the filters can transform a set, by combining the High Pass Filter & Band Pass Filter together you get the effect of using the EQ's, shelving the low end, but keeping the mids & highs still dominant in the mix. This is done to perfection by Andy C, many times at the End on the '62 and @ Matter on the '92.

So from this, Ive set myself the challenge of doing a mix ONLY using the VCF - HPF/BPF combo, not touching the EQs at all. There is a bit of crossfader/channel fader work involved, and the mix is a little bit 'loose' at times due to both hands fixed to the VCFs, but im really happy with how it turned out.

http://dnbshare.com/download/ALLEN_HEATHVCFFILTERMIX001-JAYWALKER.mp3.html

If We Ever - High Contrast
>>> Signal - DJ Fresh
Artisan VIP - Lomax
Papa Lover - DJ Stretch [Serum RMX]
Impala - Heist
>>> Original Ninja - Taxman
Jammin' - Peshay
>>> Back To Your Roots - Jonny L [Friction & K-Tee RMX]
Symmetry - Break
Faith Massive - Lomax
Stigma - Noisia
Aztec - Spor
>>> Vault - Pendulum
Judgement - Chase & Status
Sound Control - Randall & Andy C [Bladerunner Wots Up Cuz Mix]
Talk To Frank - Commix [Break RMX]
Stay Forever - Blame
Jungle Step - Break
Papua New Guinea - F.S.O.L. [High Contrast RMX]
Infamous - Jay Walker
>>> Turbulence - Ram Trilogy
Tear You Down - Brookes Bros.
>>> Swamp Thing - Subfocus
Benny Blanco [Remember Me?] - Twisted Individual
Contra - Lomax
Pull It Up - Clipz [TC RMX]
Different Drum - London Electricity [Dillinja RMX]
>>> Enta Da'Dragon - DJ Red [Twisted Individual RMX]
Colossus - DJ Fresh
>>> The One - Mampi Swift
Pacman - Ed Rush & Optical [The Upbeats RMX]
Asylum - Ram Trilogy
Phone Tap - Ewun
Foreigner - DJ Fresh

Have you heard the flip to Phone Tap, Cop Killa? Its absolutely disgusting.

On the download now. I myself have a Xone 92 and this is a very handy way of switching tunes up quickly.

Yeah man I gots the EP, BIG. 'Take That' is my favourite off it.

Yeah its a massive EP. It took about 2 and a half years to come out though. I first heard Phone Tap in Early 2006.

Yeah its a massive EP. It took about 2 and a half years to come out though. I first heard Phone Tap in Early 2006.

Yeah same here, I wondered what the fuck was going on with it.
Just out of curiousity, I don't suppose you know if 'Gein - The Sermon' has had a release already or is coming? Cos I heard that years ago but cant find it anywhere.

nice one Jay... ive been dabling with this quite alot at radio recently... done quite a few mixes with out touching anything but the filters... works really well...

yeah, what rock said basically ^^^
been trying to get a nice compromise between the filters and the eqs. think the trick is in how 'mild or wild' you have the effect on. and being precise on the actual filters themselves. can really transform a mix. also quite handy to correcting little mistakes by wacking the filter on for a mo :clown:

looking forward to hearing this man!!

i really want an allen and heath for home as well :(

Yeah same here, I wondered what the fuck was going on with it.
Just out of curiousity, I don't suppose you know if 'Gein - The Sermon' has had a release already or is coming? Cos I heard that years ago but cant find it anywhere.

Its definitely not been released yet. Not heard anything about a release either. Habit has been a bit quiet recently.

Its definitely not been released yet. Not heard anything about a release either. Habit has been a bit quiet recently.

I know its gonna be on a new EP of their's, with a couple or remixed tracks too. Just aint got a clue on release. Don't like it when this happens, you hear a tune and it gets released years later.

messy mate , every one had a laugh we managed to record the garage but i fucked the laptop up for the other audio. im arranging it for about next month. yeh bill is a complete stitch.

Back
Top Bottom