That Bassy, Stretched Growl

Rubs90

KeyControl
VIP Junglist
Hey there, looking on a tutorial on how to make those long "growls" that are becoming more and more common nowadays by artists like Loadstar, Wilkinson etc

I think the videos should be enough to point out what bass I'm talking about. Tried searching for a similar thread but couldnt find one, so if theres already been a thread on this let me know! Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
dont know of any tutorials for exactly that, but essentially it is layers of Saws, with slow filters, probly some comb filters aswell as hi/low pass, layers of distortion & chorus, sum bit-crusher, probly sum phase/flange and verb on the top end, experiment, use subtle FX, and lots of layers, rather than full wack distortion etc...think of the FX as adding texture, rather than GRRR, if that makes sense...

dont know of any tutorials for exactly that, but essentially it is layers of Saws, with slow filters, probly some comb filters aswell as hi/low pass, layers of distortion & chorus, sum bit-crusher, probly sum phase/flange and verb on the top end, experiment, use subtle FX, and lots of layers, rather than full wack distortion etc...think of the FX as adding texture, rather than GRRR, if that makes sense...

Makes some sense hehe :) What synth do you recommend for that kind of work? All I kinda have at my disposal at the moment is Logic, the logic presets and massive, so im working with few tools here hehe

---------- Post added at 23:44 ---------- Previous post was at 23:43 ----------

Also, a lot of people keep saying "layers of distortion and chorus" for bass, are there any specific tutorials on that? I get the whole idea I just dont get how the execution works

Makes some sense hehe :) What synth do you recommend for that kind of work? All I kinda have at my disposal at the moment is Logic, the logic presets and massive, so im working with few tools here hehe

anything that will give you a Saw really (or perhaps an FM synth if you want to experiment), if you have a synth that has comb filters, then thats a good bet, otherwise just use a simple synth with a Saw output, and add your own filters after it in the chain. Massive is more than capable of creating that kind of bass, or Albino3. I use Ableton Operator for pretty much all my bass sounds, it has nice filters, but the rest is done with an FX chain rather than in the synth itself

---------- Post added at 23:50 ---------- Previous post was at 23:47 ----------

---------- Post added at 23:44 ---------- Previous post was at 23:43 ----------

Also, a lot of people keep saying "layers of distortion and chorus" for bass, are there any specific tutorials on that? I get the whole idea I just dont get how the execution works

fx chain (inserts): Saw > Filter > Distortion > Chorus > Distortion > Chorus > etc

then you might split that channel into 3 bands using for Eg parametric EQ's, low 40-150hz, mid 150-3500hz, high 3500hz, and add seperate FX to each band, maybe more distortion and chorus to the mid, phase/flange/verb to the high...etc

you'll have to figure out how to route one channel into 3 to do that, or duplicate the channel so you have 3 copies, or bounce it and duplicate the audio files...lots of wys to do it

I used one of these recently, and as covered it's just a relatively normal distorted synth with an attack envelope on the filter...

What tip I can give you though, is to use a sub separately because the resonance from the filter is going to completely fuck any chance of mixing and eqing the bass properly. Cut up to around 120hz on the attack filter sound as a whole so it's still nice and full, but just missing the sub frequencies. Basically use the technique that Sub Focus does for his classic reese...

The first clip you posted doesn't use any pitch, whereas the second one uses a slow rise in pitch along with the filter. You could probably really easily route these to the same envelope in massive if you know how to use it.

Back
Top Bottom