DnB Tempo of DnB/Jungle?

H

hydr0

Want to try making some drum n bass, but not quite sure what tempo it's at. Some people have said its >175 bpm, but Landspeeder is 87 bpm. Is DnB half time like dubstep? I know the differences between dubstep and dnb, or does it not matter as long as the two step rhythm and UK/jamaican influences are there?

87 is half of 174. A lot of automatic beat detection will get it wrong and say 87 when strictly speaking it's 174. Still who the fuck cares if it comes out the same at the end.

Dubstep is strictly around 140 bpm and is halftime (snare on every 3rd hit)
Drum and Bass is usually 170+ and is interesting because the bass is halftime but the breaks or drums are not (snares usually being on every 2 and 4th hits making it essentially a 2step pattern)
Jungle is the same as Drum and Bass in composition but due to the complexity of breakbeats in Jungle as opposed to the smoother more clean cut production of DnB, Jungle sounds best at around 160 bpm. (In my opinion anyway)

As long as Drum and Bass is notably fast it's Drum and Bass to me xD

Hope that helps

I will say this though, keep it to about 170 tops, anything faster than that and you start to quickly lose a lot of the funk and it becomes very different music

Also most of the all time classics back in the 90s were anywhere between 155 and 168 and while some of them can survive a remarkable degree of being sped up many of them really cant, so at least keeping the tempo back in sensible territory gives you a much, much wider selection to draw from and ultimately more interesting and diverse sets.

Dubstep is strictly around 140 bpm and is halftime (snare on every 3rd hit)
Drum and Bass is usually 170+ and is interesting because the bass is halftime but the breaks or drums are not (snares usually being on every 2 and 4th hits making it essentially a 2step pattern)
Jungle is the same as Drum and Bass in composition but due to the complexity of breakbeats in Jungle as opposed to the smoother more clean cut production of DnB, Jungle sounds best at around 160 bpm. (In my opinion anyway)

As long as Drum and Bass is notably fast it's Drum and Bass to me xD

Hope that helps
Doesn't having snares on 2 and 4 make it sound like steady 4/4? 2 step means irregular patterns right? Could you provide an example of the third hit you described? Kick on 1 and snare on 3 would still be the same as 2 and 4

Thanks for explaining the slight differences between jungle and dnb tempo, probably won't mes with jungle since its outdated and too cut up for producing.

kick and snare placements aren't fixated, although you'll find in the majority of tunes the snare land on the 2 and 4, with the kick landing on 1 and '3 and', as opposed to 3, but the deeper you delve the more you realize how little this matters :2thumbs:

probably won't mes with jungle since its outdated and too cut up for producing.

Futurama-Fry.jpg

kick and snare placements aren't fixated, although you'll find in the majority of tunes the snare land on the 2 and 4, with the kick landing on 1 and '3 and', as opposed to 3, but the deeper you delve the more you realize how little this matters :2thumbs:
Yeah, from listening I've come to feel what a good beat should sound like

Jungle is outdated. Ah well, I'll just leave it be.
Imo, it is. Haven't heard any amens/breaks ever since people realized they could make the beats themselves. Still very much enjoy jungle, I wish more people would produce it though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom