Techniques to tighten my mixing?

shaunlee0

Hi there wondering if anyone had any techniques to help tighten my mixes that slip out after a period of time.
Cheers

Try bringing the tune your mixing in really slowly with the channel volume. Also try not to use the crossfader, just use the volume. if u tend to touch the record or jog wheel if the tune is a slightly lower volume it might be less noticeable.

why not use the crossfader? i've used it from the first time i even begun mixing til today. maybe it's just that i'm using a 2ch mixer, not a 4ch one.

why not use the crossfader?

personally i don't.
i think you have slightly more control with the volume fader than xfader. also on some mixers ive had, the crossfader becomes worn which can add a crackle when using.
also some xfaders have a volume curve on them which is good to blend tracks if your not using eq's but not so much if you are.
its all preference and depends on the mixer ur using.

Fuck the crossfader imo, whats OP's question? How to keep tracks in time?
This might sound condescending as fuck but before you bring the second track in, count to 5 (after beatmatching of course) and see if the tracks are still both perfectly in time and if they're not, try again.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the crossfader. I find it really tacky when mixing D&B. I hate the way some DJ's will cut a tune in and out randomly when they use it. Sometimes with both basses up as well.

Never take your hand off the pitch and constantly make sure its in beat - Tighter mixes.

i feel its gives me control as to subtle gains and fades and stuff... volume for cutting tho... always

This entirely.

Whats helped me tighten up my mixes is leavin the platter alone and concentrating 100% on the pitch (once the tune is in the mix, before its in the mix touch the platter all you want). I used to give it a little nudge here and there and move the pitch whilst nudging, it helped me get it matched quickly, but if you nudge/drag a little too hard it'll sound terrible and may put it out even more.

My best advice would be learn to mix with 90% of the work done on the pitch fader, only touching the vinyl occasionally. Also try to keep your headphones on all the time (avoid the habit of taking them off as soon as you think the mix is locked), you may need to keep your headphones at low level to mix like this but it will be worth it as you will start to hear the mix go out as soon as it starts to slip.

Ultimately though, if you keep practising and always trying to improve (i.e - constantly concentrating on what's in your headphones to ensure the mix is tight all the time) that will be better than any new technique you might pick up!

My best advice would be learn to mix with 90% of the work done on the pitch fader, only touching the vinyl occasionally. Also try to keep your headphones on all the time (avoid the habit of taking them off as soon as you think the mix is locked), you may need to keep your headphones at low level to mix like this but it will be worth it as you will start to hear the mix go out as soon as it starts to slip.

Ultimately though, if you keep practising and always trying to improve (i.e - constantly concentrating on what's in your headphones to ensure the mix is tight all the time) that will be better than any new technique you might pick up!

This. A lot of people take their headphones off whilst mixing and it makes it harder for them to notice when it goes out of time.

This. A lot of people take their headphones off whilst mixing and it makes it harder for them to notice when it goes out of time.

Just the same as others have said, practise adjusting your tune with the pitch instead of jogging it back and forth.
I myself leave head phones on and off, once I'm comfortable it's spot on I take the head phones of and jig about and mess about with the tracks.

Back
Top Bottom