Technics vs Synq XTRM-1

ilovelondon

Call me Jens.
VIP Junglist
Oy, it's time for another one of these...

I really want some decks to use my vinyl in the mix instead of just listening to them (on a table without pitch control). I'm looking out for second handed tables (I'm a bit scared for this too... I don't want anything to be wrong with them or adjusted pitch range and shit like that and I don't have enough money to spend it on someone fixing them up). I've seen technics sl 1210 in the range of 700 - 800 euro for 2, or 250 to 500 for one. I'd go for the cheapest option (not enough money to spend as a student) but I don't want battered old ones neither, which is wanting a bit too much i'm afraid. :)

On the other side, I've got myself thinking about a pair of Synq XTRM-1s, they're 700 euro for two (new) and come with some standard (stanton i think) needles...
I've found them second handed too, in the price range of 350 - 500 euro for a pair.

So... I don't know what to do really.

- Technics are classics and I love their look and all that
- Synqs have more torq (so i've heard) and adjusted start/stop which will come in handy
- Synqs have adjustable pitch range buttons, not just 8% up and down
- Synqs have the ability to switch the output from phono to line (this doesn't matter a lot to me, if even at all)
- Technics are industry standard, if the day comes that i get the opportunity to play out, i'll know how they handle
- Technics are known to last. Long. Time will tell if this is the same deal with the Synqs
- Synqs are more accurate for adjustments and all that

Please help. I hope to receive some responds here from both sides, because technics have a lot of fanboys that stick with it even though some other turntables are already proven to be better technically...

I'd love the idea of having technics, but I know that it's from a fanboy way of thinking... :/

in my experience, ive bought 3 1210s off ebay for about 350-400 overall - none of which have ever given me any problems. 2nd hand technics are commonly sold on there so if you keep your eyes out u can bag a bargain.

as far as comparing the two i cant really comment only that ive never regretted technics and have never had any problems with them

Got my technics 2nd hand off ebay for just over 100 quid each. one of them had the dual zero pitches, and I managed to adjust it so very easily on my own, so many videos on youtube etc. on how to fix it so i wouldn't worry too much about sending it to professionals etc.

I love my technics.

We have two Technic 1210s and one Citronic PD45 (which is a Synq under a different name). We used to have a pair of the Citronics and a pair of Stanton 150s too, but they got sold when we downsized.

The Citronics / Synqs are awesome, simply awesome. If I had to start from scratch I'd definately buy them again. Just replace the stock Stanton carts with something better. I don't know about the Synqs but the Citronic slipmats are junk too (I'm not keen on Technics mats either).

As for reliability, it's usually the pitch fader that goes first. I've not changed a Citronic pitch but I've had a good look inside and it shouldn't be too tricky. The tricky part would be getting a spare fader, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it will match a Technics one, or if not a Stanton one. Stanton pitches are definately available as I've changed those too. One of these days I should open up our Citronic to have a look.

---------- Post added at 10:47 ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 ----------

Another thing, people will say "don't buy anything except Technics if you want to play in clubs".

Don't listen, any good DJ shouldn't have a problem flicking between either.

Last edited:
Hello there.

That's my first post here (sorry for my bad english, i'm spanish)

IMHO, i can tell you that Synq (in my case, Akiyama Acura, they are the same OEM platter's), are indeed a very good platter. I had it over 2 years, and it looks like the first day it comes to my home, except the paint of the pich, that it wore out. I'm really in love with them. I have also a stanton t-80 on my set, (wich have a lot less torq than Synq ones, and a similar one to technics as far as i know), and it can't be compared to them.

They are really awesome when u try to mix with them, as the torq of them is really strentgh, and when u adjust the pitch and move the vinyl/platter forward/backward, it recovers in some miliseconds (not like the stanton t80, if you push them too 'hard', they stop, and when they start again, they don't do it with their full strength).

As some people said, technics are industry standar, and you are going to have it on each club that u go, but for the home, IMO, you don't need and obsolete / expensive platter (but with VERY LONG LIFE, AS IT'S PROVED) like the technics. If you can test them both, then it would be better, as each one of us are a world.

I hope that you understand me.

BTW, any one know where to buy spare OEM (akiyama acura / synq / stanton str 150) pitch's? It's in case my pitch's wear's out in the future.

alright cheers everyone. I've used the Synqs another time today, as I went to a record shop that has them. Think I'm probably gonna go for those after all. By the end of the year they should be added to the setup. You'll see the update in the 'post a pic of your setup' thread. :)

Got my 1210's off ebay, mint condish really including dust covers etc for £400 including postage. Best purchase i ever made besides my car =P

9659157.jpg

Purchased my Technics about 5 years ago now 2nd hand from ebay with a Numark DXM09 mixer for £350 in total, great deal considering they were both mint condition and the mixer alone was £250 new at the time! Still no problems with my technics to this day, should really open them up and give them a good clean though. What im getting at is basically +1 for 2nd hand technics!

Back
Top Bottom