Technics SL 1210mk2 - Calibrating ?

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by Oria, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Oria

Oria Member

Was having a mix last week across some styles and a mix that 'on paper' should have been possible on the decks wasn't as the deck wouldn't play fast enough ! Moved the tune to the other deck and it was playing a few bpm faster ... so using this page as a guide i thought i`d try and calibrate them.

http://www.kult.co.uk/Technics SL-1200-1210 FAQ.htm

.. i just reset the 'zero' pot on the to 2.7kohm. Not had a mix yet but the original pot resistance were 3.31 on one and 2.95 on the other so hopefully will make a difference around that zero spot.

Anyway, i also measured the pitch pot resistance as well and it was 980 on one and 1050 on the other, i set them both to 1000 in the hope they would be even speed wise (just a hope - had nothing to go on).

Anyway put them all back together and on each deck measured the BPM (3 times and averaged) of a track with the slider at +max, zero, -max.

On the left deck it was +7.15% and -8.69%, on the right was +7.86% and -8.57%. Quite close to each other but should they not be exact ? In real terms this meant a tune of 169.6bpm would do 156.09-182.71 on the left and 156.21-184.06 on the right deck.

This felt like i was back at school writing up a science lesson but .. How do i get them to be exactly the same +/- 8 %? (or higher of course)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  2. DTR

DTR the village idiot

Trial and improvement is probably your quickest way of getting them equal.

If you have a frequency counter the official method is to adjust VR301 (pitch gain pot) until the test point measures 262.08kHz. ± 0.05kHz.

3. DJ Spliff

DJ Spliff Never Enuff Vinyl

Wow, that's a lot of technical talk I am not familiar wtih. Where are you finding this on the turntable? Under the platter?

4. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

I have a similar problem with my decks.

I say if one deck is on 4.1 and im mixing another tune the same tempo that tune has to be on like 3.9
    Its quite confusing sometimes

5. Oria

Oria Member

No but i will look for someone that does. Presume that once at the freq. quoted you should have a perfect +/8 % ? And then do you know which how much freq. to give a +/- 10 % ?

6. DTR

DTR the village idiot

VR301 sets the pitch range, this is a blue potentiometer (pot) below the platter to the right of the motor.

VR302 sets the 0% point, this is the pot right next to the pitch fader.

The test point I mentioned is two metal pins sticking out of the PCB just to the right of the motor.

It will be close but not necessarily spot on. There's no set frequency for 10%, just try it and see.

7. rob_del_terror

rob_del_terror - ̿ ̿'̵͇̿̿з=(•̪●)=ε

8. hazdaman100

hazdaman100 Bum 'n Face

I agree with this, any easy solution that doesn't involve all theses offputting numbers and percentages that ppl in this thread are on about?

9. DTR

DTR the village idiot

Trial and improvement. Set the 0% pot first, then the pitch gain pot, then go back and check.

10. JamesZero

JamesZero aka Zero Beats

Ahh shit, what was that show called? I used to watch that as a kid..

Was it the one where the person couldn't see with the helmet on and 3 others had to direct him round dungeons?

11. Fortune^

Fortune^ ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

Knightmare.

Treguard ftw.

12. JamesZero

JamesZero aka Zero Beats

Thats the one!

13. hazdaman100

hazdaman100 Bum 'n Face

Such a sick show, watched it on challenge quite recently, it was awesome, scary skull man as the enemy and the dragon that talks. Brings back good memories from my childhood

14. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

I don't you'll ever get them exact unless they are brand new or have had replacement motors and brushes. Due to the fact that each deck will have worn differently, say if you scratch one deck all the time, that motor and brushes will be signifcantly more worn over a period of time. This, IMO, would definately contribute to the small errors you are seeing. Might be wrong tho ;)

15. DTR

DTR the village idiot

The motor in Technics doesn't use brushes. The only part to wear is the spindle. I think any differences would come from tolerances in the electronics

16. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

How much would it cost roughly to get this fixed by a proffesional?

17. gilmertthecat

gilmertthecat Ceej

I got the once over including cleaning, changing the cables (as the right phono lead was dead) and recalibration for £35 and still felt proper mugged off...parts came to about £5...

18. marky1702

marky1702 Member

I have an old technic 1200 and the pitch control is not working at all. The pitch light has gone completely, and the bpm is all over the place, making it impossible to mix. HAs anyone else had this problem, and is it worth it to try and repair??

19. DTR

DTR the village idiot

^^^^ Did it suddenly go like that? It it did then remove the platter and the plastic cover underneath to reveal the main PCB. On the right hand side there is a white plug that connects the pitch fader wiring to the main PCB. Check that it is plugged in securely and the wiring isn't damaged anywhere. If that isn't it then it could be a fault with Q2 or Q3 (transistors), or IC301 (chip).

If it did not happen suddenly then you probably just need new pitch faders.

Do all the lights (apart from the 0% pitch LED) work properly? Has anyone fucked around with the pop-up target light?

20. marky1702

marky1702 Member

^^^^^^first of all, thanks for taking the time to try and help.

It did happen suddenly I've never had any problem with the pitch before. No one was messing with it as far as I know. So I guess I'll try to take it apart like you said. So you think something maybe came unplugged or could be damaged. Hopefully I can get it fixed cuz I'm too broke to replace it. Is there anything else I should know before I take it apart??? Oh and yes the pitch light is the only light that is not working

Thanks again!!