Technics Pitch

DJDeeeNBee

I got some used Technics M3Ds off ebay and discovered that the pitch was off (you can test by the info underneath start switch) and decided to get new pitch faders. I did and it is still off.

What should I do? (this has cost me £120 so far)

could be something to do with the internal electronics that does the timing (all based around a quartz crystal so i gather). if you are handy with a multimeter/soldering iron there are guides on the net for calibrating them .

good luck :)

u should be able to get them serviced, have a look on the net and see where ur nearest servicers are! dance 2 records do it if u have one of their shops near u if not there will b someone near u that can do it im sure! good luck, hop u get it sorted!

If the pitch is off on them then the it's probably because somebody has been messing with the pitches to turn them into +16 decks...

If you remove the platter, underneath there somewhere on the right is a little blue screw, if you turn that a quarter turn clockwise then it doubles the pitch faders so +4 becomes +8 etc... (I'm sure there's tutorials on Youtube on how to do this)

Somebody has probably done this and not been able to alter them back to where they should be accurately... You could have a go yourself if your technically minded, but I'd suggest taking them to a qualified repair guy and getting them to do it so you can sure that they'll be dead on...

well aswell as the pitch being not aligned it was at 16 so i did have to change it back to 8 but its still not aligned

Just take 'em to a qualified repairer - there's probably nothing broken on them or anything, they've just been fucked around with and been put out of alignment... Shouldn't cost too much...

That's why it's not a good idea to mess around with the settings like this - it's really hard to get them accurate again once it's done and your warranty (if you have one) is totally fucked...

Why do people care so much about the calibration? It makes no difference to the performance if the number 3 on the scale isn't actually 3%. Not on M3Ds anyway.

If the pitch is off on them then the it's probably because somebody has been messing with the pitches to turn them into +16 decks...

If you remove the platter, underneath there somewhere on the right is a little blue screw, if you turn that a quarter turn clockwise then it doubles the pitch faders so +4 becomes +8 etc... (I'm sure there's tutorials on Youtube on how to do this)

Somebody has probably done this and not been able to alter them back to where they should be accurately... You could have a go yourself if your technically minded, but I'd suggest taking them to a qualified repair guy and getting them to do it so you can sure that they'll be dead on...

this is exaclty the problem..... how technics work.... is that -6% is actually 0 from the motors point of view (basicly the highist point your pitch can go... is actually the most comfortable rpm for the motor).... so when you play with the calibrating pin it moves the 0% (from the DJs visual point of view) downwards (or as if the 0% mark is at 2% for instance)..... what you need todo is slowly move the calirating pin counter clockwise... ever so slightly... test the deck.... with the dot things round the edge of the platter..... keep doing that untill you get it right..... its a simple thing todo but might take a while.....

hope i explained that ok.... read it back and it seems abit confusing.... anyway.... give me a shout and ill explain the bits you dont understand.....

my advice is to drop it to a repairers if your not very tech minded....

Back
Top Bottom