technics 1210's and 1200's

The 1200 silvers are the original... and if was buying decks for the first time i'd go for these as they match the Allen and Heath in colour.

The 1210 MK5 G's are the ones tho if you can spend a bit extra...

The MK5's also have the guard on the on/off switch that prevents accidently switching the deck off while in the mix... trust me it happens sometimes - which is a useful feature

how come 1200's cheaper 2nd hand then?

Personally i think because 1200's have been around longer hence when you buy second hand you never really know how old they are... Some i have seen are nearly 20 years old but still look no different than a new one apart from 20 years of wear on the Quartz direct drive which spins the platter. New decks increase pitch alot quicker than an older deck - especially when riding the pitch etc

yup, 1200 mk5s FTW!

had to get my djm600 in grey because of them too, heh. bet they would look lovely next to an allen and heath...... ONE DAY!

Personally i think because 1200's have been around longer hence when you buy second hand you never really know how old they are... Some i have seen are nearly 20 years old but still look no different than a new one apart from 20 years of wear on the Quartz direct drive which spins the platter. New decks increase pitch alot quicker than an older deck - especially when riding the pitch etc

will they hold a beat anywhere near aswell as when they were new?

will they hold a beat anywhere near aswell as when they were new?

Depends on how old and what condition they are in.
If they are really old and have been poorly looked after etc they are lekely to be a bit worn.
If their a couple of years old and have been kept like the royal corgies then they should be fine.
If bying second hand the best thing you can do is test them out though.

You can work out the age of a Technic from the serial number on the back ;)

yup, 1200 mk5s FTW!

had to get my djm600 in grey because of them too, heh. bet they would look lovely next to an allen and heath...... ONE DAY!

no Riisu!! dont fall for the Allen and Heath.... Pioneer all the way man..... well.... unless your getting that Xone:82000000000 or what ever its called... thats the only one i like... but that beast if fukin expensive!

Wikipedia said:
It is possible to tell the year (and the month) when the SL-1200 was manufactured from the serial number on the back or bottom of the turntable. SL-1200 serial numbers are in two different formats, depending on the date of manufacture. It isn't exactly possible to determine the decade in which the SL-1200 in question was manufactured, as the serial number contains only the last digit of the year. If the year digit is 8, the turntable may have been manufactured in 1978, 1988, 1998 or 2008. If the year digit is 0, the turntable may have been manufactured in 1980, 1990 or 2000. One rule of thumb is that old-format serial numbers belong to SL-1200s manufactured during the 1970s and 1980s, while new-format serial numbers belong to SL-1200s manufactured during the 1990s and beyond.

Old-format serial number: NHOJF20765 (SL-1200 manufactured 1982)
The first digit shows the year when the SL-1200 was manufactured. These serial numbers contain no indication of the month of manufacture. It should be noted that serial numbers in this format contain no letters following digits.

New-format serial number: GE4FB001154 (SL-1200 manufactured June 2004)
The first digit shows the year when the SL-1200 was manufactured, while the month of manufacture is indicated by the letter following it. Months are coded as letters between A and L inclusive; A indicates January, B indicates February, and so on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technics_SL-1200#Determining_the_age_of_an_SL-1200

Back
Top Bottom