technics 1210 spray job

rob_del_terror

- ̿ ̿'̵͇̿̿з=(•̪●)=ε
VIP Junglist
my mates just sprayed some technics up, he's done a step by step, sure he won't mind me sharing it with ya. might come in useful if anyones feeling adventurous or simply interested/needing refernce for the innards of the deck.

heres his step by step with pictures.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just bought a pair of battered old decks of a friend for 200 quid, so I thought I would give them a bit of TLC and get them looking better than new. I thought I would post how I did it here so if anyone else is feeling adventurous they can see how to do it. If you do decide to do this, make sure you have some understanding of electronics and how to handle them. There is a chance that you may ruin your decks, and its not my fault if you make a mess of them.

Here is one of the beasties -

4346148237_fb065bd5a4_o.jpg

Both decks had broken tone arm clips, battered platters, broken target lights and looked a just a little tired. They work absolutely fine though.

First thing to do is to take the back rubber cover off. To do this you need to turn the deck upside down without breaking the tone arm. Some people like to use the dust covers for this, but since mine didn't come with any, I improvised with some Charles Dickens books I had on a book shelf.

4346892556_7a247e9748_o.jpg

4346892724_c549c0404a_o.jpg

Once upside down there is about 20+ screws to remove. You will need to remove the 4 rubber feet as there is 4 long screws hidden under them.

4346892878_8bac239d38_o.jpg

Once you have the screws out, carefully remove the rubber base to reveal the back of the chassis. You will have to remove the power plug to do this.

4346148909_0ef884bd16_o.jpg

There is about 5 screws to remove from the back of the chassis then carefully lift the back off.

4346149107_97e49f34c0_o.jpg

Now carefully flip the deck back over and remove the platter and the dust cover.

4346893538_78ca832430_o.jpg

You should see 3 black plugs that go into the boards from the pich control, target light and power switches. You will need to carefully detach them from the board and also snip the cable ties holding them together.

Now you can flip the deck on its side and start removing the power switch assembly. You need to remove the 3 black screws, as well as the gold and rd screws holding the circuit board in place. You don't have to remove the board, just the screws. There is also a little screw holding the power switch in place.

4346893690_0f116e24d9_o.jpg

You should be left with something like this -

4346893816_1c6f469eb2_o.jpg

Now remove the 2 screws holding in the target light, and the 2 screws holding in the pitch slider and remove them. Don't forget to remove the tag holding the grounding wire for the tone arm. Remove the 3 screws holding the tone arm and carefully remove it from the chassis.

4346893960_8231b467a0_o.jpg

I forgot to take a picture here, but turn the deck back over and remove the 3 screws on the main board, the 3 screws on the motor, the 2 screws on the fuse board, 3 screws on the transformer, 2 screws on the power lead, and 2 screws on the heat sink. You should now be able to lift everything out in one. Be careful when lifting the main board as the spindle might stick to it but it is not attached.

4346150195_9854a7eb25_o.jpg

Look at the dirt in that! Now remove the target light trim and the little metal trim with the pitch decals on. You will destroy this in the process so make sure before you start that you can source some more. I got some for £5 each. You also need to remove the cloth on the underside. You can do this carefully so you can reuse it later. Remove the sticker and give it a good clean.

4346150355_84fbc93055_o.jpg

Something that you may want to do during the disassembly is to put the screws for each part in a separate bag and label them. This makes re-assembly a lot easier and gets rid of the "remaining screws syndrome" at the end.

4346151019_7929acc9f5_o.jpg

ow comes the painting. For a good paint job, proper preparation is vital. If you are unfamiliar with spraying techniques I strongly advise you take your chassis to a car body shop and get them to do it all for you. They shouldn't charge you that much. I decided to do all the prep at home and let a spray painter apply the topcoat.

You will first need to scuff back the powder coating and repair any deep scratches with a fine stopping putty. I rubbed it back with P320 production paper, and used red scotch brite on the awkward places. Be careful to not go through the powder coat if possible. If you do get rub through's to the bare metal, don't worry we will sort that next. You should now have something looking like this -

4346150493_a56cc5d88a_o.jpg

Now degrease thoroughly and use some acid etch primer on the rub through's.

4346150645_53ab51c47b_o.jpg

ow carefully sand back etch primer and apply a decent high build primer. I use U-Pol aerosols because I know they work. You can buy cheap ones but sometimes its just not worth it.

4346894954_221d38aed4_o.jpg

I now wet sanded the primer with P600 wet or dry paper being careful not to rub through. I then gave it to the spay painter to finish. I had it finished in a high quality automotive 2 pack in a fetching Ford colour called Frozen White.

4346150895_59b1b1c8fa_o.jpg

Looking good! Now its time to reassemble! Place in the spindle and replace the innards

4346151179_a59e5ac926_o.jpg

Time to add the new decals

4346151515_0f56f15364_o.jpg

The rest is pretty straight forward, just do the reverse of the disassembly. I also replaced the target light and the broken clip. I still need to polish up the platter, but that can wait until another day.

And here is is -

4346896038_64d473893b_o.jpg

4346151887_6f4d2b5fb1_o.jpg

4346896340_e5bf5b694b_o.jpg

Now repeat the whole thing again to complete the set
4346896830_949aa294b1_o.jpg

Looks good but to much of a mission for me. If he wants to do mine then hes more than welcome :D

nice...lookin tight bro....i need to touch up my pitch control the paint has worn off on the deck were the knob slides...what paint did ya mate use as i didnt read i jus looked at the pictures.

i can see in a few months the right bottom side of ya technics will start goin a milky/grey after serious useage tho lad.

i know he bought some stickers for the numbers off ebay. not sure what paint. i'll find out. he works for a paint shop so he's clued up on whats what. big job just to paint the pitch though.

i know lad...i will prob jus lave it cos i am lazy...lookin slick tho rob, u got an ecler fader in that stanton? hows that?? i used to have a stanton SA1 (think thats wat it was) but the x fader didnt have a tight enough cut, bailed it and put a P & G in it...was nice...heard top banter bout ecler.

Nice thread! im a painter and varnisher by trade for a boat company, im learning to spray atm, looks like the guy has done a good job.

White looks great hope he has used a really good paint or it will become patchy with all the grubby handling etc.

Although if it was me, to go to all that trouble and paint it one colour seems alot when maybe a design or subtle pattern could be added, i have this nice colour called kelly green at work, i reckon to fade a nice dark green into the black original colour of the deck would look lush, subtle but classy, and not hard to do either.

And also, although id have to look into this and dont try this at home kids, but im sure there is a way of not dismantling the whole deck to spray it, with some precision masking tape skills and taping everything but the deckplate, but thats if its being sprayed by hand rather than a high pressure spraygun

i know lad...i will prob jus lave it cos i am lazy...lookin slick tho rob, u got an ecler fader in that stanton? hows that?? i used to have a stanton SA1 (think thats wat it was) but the x fader didnt have a tight enough cut, bailed it and put a P & G in it...was nice...heard top banter bout ecler.

not my set up mate. its my pals. he just got an innofader. just had it round at mine tonight actually. really fuckin nice. i've got an ecler and it shits on my fader. £99 and they fit most mixers. fully adjustable cut.

Nice thread! im a painter and varnisher by trade for a boat company, im learning to spray atm, looks like the guy has done a good job.

White looks great hope he has used a really good paint or it will become patchy with all the grubby handling etc.

Although if it was me, to go to all that trouble and paint it one colour seems alot when maybe a design or subtle pattern could be added, i have this nice colour called kelly green at work, i reckon to fade a nice dark green into the black original colour of the deck would look lush, subtle but classy, and not hard to do either.

And also, although id have to look into this and dont try this at home kids, but im sure there is a way of not dismantling the whole deck to spray it, with some precision masking tape skills and taping everything but the deckplate, but thats if its being sprayed by hand rather than a high pressure spraygun

yeah he's used decent paint, got it sprayed at a car body place, like i said he works for a paint company, knows everything there is to know so i assume its a solid job. not seen em hands on yet. just in the pics. the decks are about 12+ years old so they're looking pretty good for the age now. apparently they play like new.

PIMP MY TECHNICS, WITH YOUR HOST TOEJAM!!!!!

Always wanted to do a custom jobby on a set of technics. Will definitely try and pick a cheap set up this year and give it a go. White with blue LEDS look heavy but like Toejam said it does seem like a hell of a lot of effort for just one base colour on a custom job. Putting some kind of design on would make it worthwhile.

Good thread. Will come back to it when I start my "project" :D

Nice thread, thumbs up. That looks well good paint job. I got MK2 that needs bit of touching up. But i don't think i be trying it, i end up messing it up lol. Does look good though :)

excellent thread..... im just about to do my 1200's, had them a good few years and they were in pretty bad condition when i bought them, but i think now is the time to give them a new lease of life :)

heres whats wrong....

the paint has really faded, esp around the pitch fader area.... the tonearm is knackered on one of them.... target lamps are blown..... and they got no lids or hinges....

heres whats right....

ive already got the replacement tonearm, which i think is a bargain at £42 brand new!!... got a pair of brand new lids @ £33 each.... got two hinges, and got all the hinge "cabinets"..... i dont have the proper screws but i got some M3 machine screws and made the tapped backplates for them myself at work

i still need two more hinges and target lamps, then we are rolling ;)

not sure what colour i'll get them painted, i was thinking maybe a dark metallic red but im not too sure yet

luckily the firm i work for use a spray painting shop regularly, so as long as i do the prep work myself, should get it done pretty cheap.... in fact, if im really lucky i can charge it to the firms account (but i wont hold my breath!!)

rob, you sure u-pol is a decent primer??.... we use it at work sometimes but ive never found it all that great, seems to need loads of coats.... but then im not a spray painter, maybe loads of coats is good??

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom