Technics 1210 MK2 problems......please help

5AMBO

Hi all,

Just bought my first set of decks in the form of a set of Technics 1210 mk2's. I bought them from ebay and the overall condition etc is mint but on one deck, the tone arm appears to nose dive towards the deck alot more than the other. I have al the weight/height settings matched on each deck but one dives down whilst the other is level. Its extremely difficult to tell but the only thing i can think of is that the tone arm is bent.
When playing a vinyl, it gets about half way through and then skips back and forth on the spot and doesnt carry on and does this on different records.

Just wondered if anyone was able to shed any light on this at all and at the same time, give me some advice on how the weights/height of tone arm etc should be set up. I am slightly dis-fortunate I think in that it appears the dial that tells the weight setting seems to be spinning freely and so isnt reading the true weight.

Any help much appreciated here guys.

Give bad feedback for sure, either the sender didnt package them correctly, or they were knackered allready

Unfortunately being a beginner and not rolling in cash, second hand was the only option. That or get a cheap set of rubbish decks. I spoke to the guy and he guarantees that it was fine when he posted but offered to pay for half the cost of a new one.

Unfortunately being a beginner and not rolling in cash, second hand was the only option. That or get a cheap set of rubbish decks. I spoke to the guy and he guarantees that it was fine when he posted but offered to pay for half the cost of a new one.

Sounds fishy to me, You should have gone an inspected/picked them up, then at least you cold see them work. Take it and get it fixed and send him the bill for it!

blatently thats a joke, i was lucky enough to find some on ebay that wernt that far away, so i managed to check em out first.

http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CDQQrQQwAg

That and cost to repair you are looking at around £100 - Not the end of the world but these things happen!

---------- Post added at 14:41 ---------- Previous post was at 14:31 ----------

Oh and seeing as you have to replace the tone arm you might aswell try and get it working temp..

There are 2 little screws on the top of the tone arm at the swivel end, the middle one adjusts the tightness of the swing and the outer one to lock in place. Loosen both the screws and then wind back the middle screw until there is a small bit of play in the whole arm itself. Then lock the outer screw gently (i generally use the end of a small screw driver in one slot and push it round)

Try and see if that stops the skipping. If not have another little play and then try again. Just ffs don't take the screws all the way out cos you'll never get it seated properly again, small ball bearings equal a mission job if you don't know what to do!

Another thing you could try is if you get some carts on the standard Technics head shells, you can try a series of little wedges under the plate and sandwiched between the headshell, nearest the swivel point to therefore level out the needle a bit. This might counter act the bent arm a touch reducing the skip. Never tried this but its just a bit and educated guess (y)

Cheers for the advice and will have a look at it in a mo and see if I have any luck with ur advice.
Long term tho I was planning to buy a new tone arm and work out how to fit it myself............would this be more difficult than im thinking??

Cheers for the advice and will have a look at it in a mo and see if I have any luck with ur advice.
Long term tho I was planning to buy a new tone arm and work out how to fit it myself............would this be more difficult than im thinking??

i dont think its that difficult, ive got a mate who replaced someones tonearm for em jus from watching vids on the tube, he is pretty good with fiddly shit tho.... not in a noncey way

Its propa fiddly and you deffo need a lot patience to make sure you do it right. If you are good at that sorta stuff then by all means give it a go, but i do electronics for a living and after seeing my mates technics after a homer it put me right off!

Back
Top Bottom