Technics 1200 Modifications

deadaelus

Laughter in the Slaughter
VIP Junglist
I just recently replaced my RCA's on my tables. The RCA cables we used were custom made with braided sheild and ceramic / Gold Tips. Things were working fine for a bit, but the ground wire we used was shitty and it was creating sync errors and digital clipping with Traktor. So We decided to crack open the table and put a three prong (grounded plug) onto the cable. This successfully eliminated the ground / earth cable, and got rid of the 60Hz hum. I searched for info on this mod, and i could not locate any info - so this is a very pioneering mod. There are youtube vids that say to connect the ground to the common on the RCA, which is a bad idea - essentially you are eliminating the ground, but then the table is not grounded at all and you can end up causing damage to the electrical componets inside the table.

Anyone else do some mods to your decks that you care to share ?

Alright mate.

I changed all my LED's on my 1210's a while ago.

Changed the Pitch fader, On/Off and the Target Light to a really nice blue. They look great.

Also changed the target light housing to a black one instead of a silver.

They look the bollocks !!!

I heard about a LED kit you can get that installs just below the platter so that you have a nice blue glow that emanates from just below the platter.

Nice work on the LED kit, was thinking of doing the same for mine some day soon.

You should post a pic

I saw a cool mod that would look really sweet on that white table.

Remove the platter, paint the ring with the black / silver dots white. Then you can sand it down so all the silver dots and the top & bottom lines will come through silver.

Really simple mod but it looked real sexy, thing is white just aint my color.

nice mods. I have some stanton 150s and theres scratched from the mixer rubbing etc is it easy to respray the top? any tips or tutorials on doing this? Ive looked and cant find any info. Thanks!

nice mods. I have some stanton 150s and theres scratched from the mixer rubbing etc is it easy to respray the top? any tips or tutorials on doing this? Ive looked and cant find any info. Thanks!

Not sure how easy it is to do with the stantons. With the technics I completely strip them down so your just left with the top plate (which is also the chassis of the deck) then paint & lacquer with aerosols and put back together. When I did my first one I took loads of photos while I was stripping it and wrote down where everything went so I didnt have screws etc left over!

There are youtube vids that say to connect the ground to the common on the RCA, which is a bad idea - essentially you are eliminating the ground, but then the table is not grounded at all and you can end up causing damage to the electrical componets inside the table.

This is absolutely not true. Grounding via the RCA shield is the recommended way of eliminating a seperate ground wire. Grounding through the power lead relies on having a good earth to the mixer, which is not always the case. There is absolutely no risk of damaging components using the RCA mod. The Technics chassis is also double insulated, meaning that it was never meant to be earthed.

Anyway, here's mine :P

4032140668_5171811d8f_b.jpg

4031421817_e8d5a9a4c1_b.jpg

I replaced the pitch faders, removed the 0% click, disabled the 0% bypass circuit, replaced the strobe and button lights with blue LEDs, replaced the target light with a white LED, had them sprayed blue (not my own work), installed blue LEDs under the platter, removed the lid hinges, and replaced the standard tonearm with a Rega RB250.

Anyway, here's mine :P

4032140668_5171811d8f_b.jpg

4031421817_e8d5a9a4c1_b.jpg

I replaced the pitch faders, removed the 0% click, disabled the 0% bypass circuit, replaced the strobe and button lights with blue LEDs, replaced the target light with a white LED, had them sprayed blue (not my own work), installed blue LEDs under the platter, removed the lid hinges, and replaced the standard tonearm with a Rega RB250.

NICE FUCKIN DECKS YO, and good choice on the Empath - I love Rane!

dtr! they look sick! good work man!

ive always wanted to remove the 0% lock but i dont think im brave enough to do it! from the tutorial ive seen it looks rather simple but im still too pussy to do it just yet!
and now i really want the led's under the platter! green me thinks would be cool!

Back
Top Bottom