Technical support 2

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by The_Jungledon, Dec 1, 2006.

1. The_Jungledon

The_Jungledon www.FreelanceJunglist.com

Syptoms are>>>>>>>>
    My gf's twin deleted a critical windows file thinking that she didnt need it.
    After deleting said windows file and fucking the boot process royally nothings works.
    We work on a 80g hp a306uk sytem. ive added an internal 80g hdd.
    The problem i have is that after using windows xp recovery (which is pissing me off) i cant get said recovery files to copy to hard drive that is fuckd or to my other hard drive.Yes i have copied the ntdtect files successfully. i have found that i have no boot.ini on any of my hdd's so i tried to boot from a cd/rw (windows xp) So need to install windows on at least one drive. Ya
    But to no avail.
    help big time. (Glad i saved all my tunes to external 400gig hd before this bolloxs)
    Any help mucho gratius:chainsaw:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2006
  2. Naib

Naib Member

when you used windows recovery did u use the recovery console or the "quick recover"

quick recover is the recomended option (for speed and not knowing)
    it will scan yr system against its own database and replace files of wrong MD5sum or missing

3. The_Jungledon

seems i dont have an option to quick repair. its all dos command line. i have a decent knowledge of dos but tis fuppin recovery seems to not recover

4. Naib

Naib Member

When you startup the XP install disk I take it you are selecting "repair" from the first blue-screen option?

This will bring you to the recovery console (and it is worse then genitial warts in dealing with).
    What you need to do is actually start a new install (trust me)

When you do that and accept the EULA (F8) windows will start scanning for previous installs (it does this so you can dual-boot automatically). However, if it detects that you have a version of Windows already installed (that matches what you are trying to install) it will ask you if you want to do an auto-repair on it

again trust me, you have to go through quite a few screens and quite a few "press k to continue" to actually install

5. The_Jungledon

dont have an actual disc..... its on a seperate hdd so its slightly different. I know the one your on about and aint got a clue if we have one.

6. The_Jungledon

think i have sussed it. cheers for the help anyway naib. now to put jumper back to normal plus put pc back togther b4 the other half kills me.........

7. Naib

Naib Member

lol goodgood

here is a tip, remove yr lass from the ADMIN list!!! NOW otherwise you are going to have to do this again

my next suggestion was to plug the HD in question into another PC and copy relevant files across

8. The_Jungledon

yeah nice..... quite clued up on pc's had just forgot my old dos command line bollox

9. Affliction

Affliction thought size didnt matter

Boot.ini is pretty much the same on most PC's - in dos you can just create the file in EDIT, and type this in:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

If you're dual-booting, or have some weird partition configuration, you're gonna need to play with those numbers though

10. The_Jungledon

nice one for th@ afflication.
    My mate just bought a laptop for his g/f...
    HP are sayin you have to download yur boot disc from there website. So nowadays you get no copy of xp plus you dont even get a recovery disc. Pffffttttt!!!!!!!!