Technical production questions

RevTech

Butthole=output transduce
VIP Junglist
Why is there such character change in a song from 16 bit to 8 bit? I understand dynamic range goes down, and harmonics are brought out by the sqaurewave like shape that comes when the amount of data that can be provided is changed, but how come the huge difference? Perhaps it's exponential

Why does linear (zero) phase eq create prering? Isn't the point of linear phase eq to have no phase change, is it perhaps a latency thing?

I heard chorus effects help a pitched up (chipmunk) or tempo changed vocal sound less destroyed, is this just because it would mask the sound in general or is there a deeper reason for this, because the effect is pitch based so it could be something to it

Why is there such character change in a song from 16 bit to 8 bit? I understand dynamic range goes down, and harmonics are brought out by the sqaurewave like shape that comes when the amount of data that can be provided is changed, but how come the huge difference? Perhaps it's exponential

Yep, amplitude is stored with 2^16 distinct values vs 2^8. Or 65,536 vs 256 distinct values.

Why does linear (zero) phase eq create prering? Isn't the point of linear phase eq to have no phase change, is it perhaps a latency thing?

This one I'm a bit rusty on. Linear phase eqs mean that the relation between phase shift and frequency is linear where zero phase means that slope is 0. There is a delay which is related to the impulse response of the filter (would need to refresh myself on the details). As for pre-ring, I know near the band stops (filter cutoffs) something does happen to the phase (possibly inverted); again would need to research.

I heard chorus effects help a pitched up (chipmunk) or tempo changed vocal sound less destroyed, is this just because it would mask the sound in general or is there a deeper reason for this, because the effect is pitch based so it could be something to it

A simple pitch shift (resampling) shouldn't destroy sound so I'm guessing we're discussing pitch shifts with some sort of time-stretching. Chorus layers pitch oscillating copies of the input which would resulting in a perceived blurring of the stretch artifacts.

Was this a test? Hope that was useful in some way. :P

btw if you want "correct" answers, check out these guys/search this forum: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=33

- - - Updated - - -

WOOOAAAHHH CHECK OUT THE BIG BRAIN ON TV_G!!!!

willynilly.gif

Back
Top Bottom