Tech Itch In Dubstep Shocker!

I finished my first Dubstep tune, it's not brill but it's complete. I learnt a lot so hopefully the next one will show an improvement!

SDM - 'Got It' <- 320Kbps MP3 download!

I also went to my first Dubstep event last night, FWD>> @ Plastic People in London, I took some lame dark video, check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9PMfNHnIT8

Blap blap :teeth:

xen said:
K, first ramblings of a choooooooooon agwan at this linkerypoo: http://mixset.leeching.totallysucks.co.uk/xen/06_07_22-synergist-step_1-v4-vbr.mp3

don't have no monitors atm so I'm mixing down on headphones ( and Plantronics headphones with a built-in mic at that :teeth: :teeth: teeth: ... tho they have neodymium drivers so the sound you can get out of em is fucking phat considering their price)... Getting some proper monitors when the next portion of student loan comes through, combined with last paycheck from summer work ;)

Has anybody else noticed that once you've started to get on top of mixdowns for D&B, it's INSANELY difficult to adjust your workflow and style to something like dubstep? I just listened to a Skream track, then a mixdown of this track, in my car (BIG sub in boot and alright soundsystem, I know what a track *should* sound like) and mine sounded utter shit, even tho it sounded alright on the headphones. Not enough midrange, hell there's still not enough. Much more difficult than I expected, getting just the right mixture of sparseness between the beats whilst leaving enough to keep you interested in terms of development and rhythmic progression... nghhhhhhh.

It still doesn't sound quite right, and that drop on the (way too short) intro is bollocks, but its a start innit :/ snares need slightly more low mids, and to be slighhhhhhhhhtly quieter in the mix, but grrrrr can I be fucked to go fiddle with it for another hour again? nope :P

Yeah ANYWAY. sdm where's that mix bruv :D I might have to go do a dubstep mix0r myself too ;)
Good start man, I like! Plenty going on.

Now I've been to a Dubstep night I think I have a better understanding of what's required in a Dubstep tune, I can't wait to start my next one! :slayer:

Back
Top Bottom