@ Tech Heads/Friendly Nerds - Serious Problem With Right Deck *HELP*

Prospekt

VIP Junglist
I'm not the best with all the technical malarky of set ups and problems that often come with them so bare with me if I seem a bit noobish on this.

Fairly recently I started noticing that the audio output from my right deck was significantly less compared to that of the left deck.

Basically I'm convinced it's that deck that the problem is with because I've tried switching the needles, and even the individual stylus and playing the same tune on each deck and it's still occurring. To reiterate, the problem I'm having is that the right deck is producing about half the volume of the left deck even when the gains are set the same. I'm not sure if anyone is clued up on this but what do you reckon it could be? The connection from the tone arm to the back of the cartridge being worn out or something?

Anyone ever had a problem like this? If so what would be the best way to approach it.
Any help from people in the know would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
hmm my diagnosis is either loose connections on the wires connecting inside the tonearm or maybe the phono leads need replacing.

Both can be done yourself, just depends on your technical abilitys with fiddly shit.

I kind of guessed it would be to do with one of those problems. And I'm fairly shit with technical fiddly things like that but I suppose I could google it and try and go from there. If anyone has been in a similar situation before and has some tips let me know please. Thanks for the reply bro.

im having the exact same problem with the used 1200's i just bought, I figured it was a grounding issue or something but everythnig looks ok on that end, its just pissing me off now, i hate messing around with decks that cost soooo much

most common causes would probably be - needles and then if not rca cables. If it's not either of these then I wouldn't want to guess at whats wrong you might jut wanna get it serviced.

I had to change mhy RCA cables this week, never done anything like it before. Just followed this vide and it was pretty easy. Managed to give em a bit of a dust as well.

Just make sure you look up how to work a soldering iron first too (if you don't already know) cus that's the easiest way for something to fuck up apparently.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was checking those vids earlier actually. Looks like quite a daunting process really, something which I know I'll be shit at. lol

It's definitely not the needles, they're fine. So I presume it's the RCA cables as you suggested. Funnily enough the right deck was ok today when I was having a mix, the volume was pretty much the same on both. But it's done that before recently and then the next day it'll be fucked again. This is longgggggg. Thanks for the help anyway Scatcat.

definitely soubds like a loose contact if the problem comes and goes.

I'd recommend opening it up and having a little look, see what you can see, if you think it's gonna be too dificult then just reseal and get someone else to do it.

I was checking those vids earlier actually. Looks like quite a daunting process really, something which I know I'll be shit at. lol

It's definitely not the needles, they're fine. So I presume it's the RCA cables as you suggested. Funnily enough the right deck was ok today when I was having a mix, the volume was pretty much the same on both. But it's done that before recently and then the next day it'll be fucked again. This is longgggggg. Thanks for the help anyway Scatcat.

I noticed youre using a xone mixer in the set up thread, I am als using a xone, do you think it could be a problem with the mixers??

I don't have another mixer to test it out

I've done that Sherlock.

---------- Post added at 23:29 ---------- Previous post was at 23:27 ----------

I noticed youre using a xone mixer in the set up thread, I am als using a xone, do you think it could be a problem with the mixers??

I don't have another mixer to test it out

Pretty sure it's the deck man. Tried every other possible scenario to try and figure out what it could be. I guess we're just in a coincidental situation.

I've done that Sherlock.

---------- Post added at 23:29 ---------- Previous post was at 23:27 ----------

Sorry I'm not a mind reader an as you didnt mention you had tried it in the first post I thought you might of over looked it

Sorry I'm not a mind reader an as you didnt mention you had tried it in the first post I thought you might of over looked it

Was just kidding man. :D Honestly though I'd tried everything possible before even considering making this thread. Not only is there a volume difference but also a significant difference in quality of the audio output. Completely crispy and punchy on the left and fairly muffled and often slightly distorted on the right. Saying that, it isn't too bad, mainly just the difference in volume which is the big problem. I guess it just keeps me on my toes as I have to put in more work trying to keep the gains matched. ;)

i had this prob on my last set of decks my mate said my arm was set slightly off which i thought was bollox any way i added a weighted headset and boom sorted it out

u can buy them like that they come with 0.5 1 and 1.5 gram weights that u just screw on to the headset helps the needle get more depth on the record and therefore gives out a louder sound and if its too heavy it will distort so just a case of workin out which weight u need which takes a bit of fiddling was pretty lucky with mine good luck man

Back
Top Bottom