Target Audience

IV4

DnBF Sheriff
VIP Junglist
Do you have one? I mostly make music for me so I am my own target audience, but sooner or later I might get good enough that I could sell tracks. I guess if I wanted to go professional or semi-pro my target audience would be American Bro-Steppers. Not that I hate bro-step I just like Drum and Bass. Well anyway, many of you are dj's and maby you do have a target audience. I am curious to know what is your target audience.

Bald middle class workers, from 35 to 51 years old, who like to drink beer and llamas.
I knew you were a sexy Brazilian stripper!
New-2014-Women-Summer-Sexy-Bikinis-Set-Erotic-font-b-Micro-b-font-Push-Up-Bra.jpg

MMmmmm, brown and air brushed.

Bald middle class workers, from 35 to 51 years old, who like to drink beer and llamas.
How do you drink a Llama?

I guess I'm aiming more towards the older D&B audience. I'm discouraged to do anything on a full-on Jump Up tip by the desire to produce tracks that appeal (or are at least acceptable) to my non-D&B friends.

Producers don't have target audiences, labels do. You create a product, then you must decide which is the best company (label) that fits with the type of sound you have created. The followers of that label are the target audience. Labels must ensure that this track is of highest quality and fits with the label ethos.

Producers don't have target audiences, labels do. You create a product, then you must decide which is the best company (label) that fits with the type of sound you have created. The followers of that label are the target audience. Labels must ensure that this track is of highest quality and fits with the label ethos.
I think you are almost right about this. You have to keep in mind this (it's an example):

I try to make the darkest music I can possibly think of. This narrows my audience much more if I would make this "electro-house brostep" thingy that's happening nowadays. And then, I must think about were my music is played the most. Following soundcloud's stats (before they were put into the "pro plan"), most of times my music is played (and liked) by people in UK and US. So, I don't aim my "distribution" to Brazil, for example, as the quantity of people who liked my productions so far is almost non-existant.

This means that in part, yes, we all make music for target audiences, and then the labels take care of the rest.

- - - Updated - - -

How do you drink a Llama?
If you cut it's head and are fast enough, you'll still have a warm beverage.

Back
Top Bottom