Taming Da Sub

Do these balls make my penis look funny?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hey, those are my balls!

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters

khujo1023

I've been playing around a lot with sub only bass lines (filling in the mids later... you know the drill). I'm having a hell of a time finding the right way to fit it in with everything else. The setup is this, I isolate the sub between 80-20 or 60-20hz and play around with the level, compression, saturation and whatever else I think it needs.

NOTE: This is referenced from a set of Sennheisers, Audio Technica ATHX and KRK 8's.

When I get it about right in the cans/monis I take it to my car and get absolutely nothing from it. I'll listen to it on headbuds and no response. So, I take the sub a few dbs out, it adds presence but sounds farty and like shit. Trying to compress it just kills the damn tone and i'm left with a mess and hours at the handle basically shoving my thumb up my ass.

What are some good sub treatment tips/videos? I diligently try to look at this myself but needs somes helps.

I was looking at the following song from Fanu and am wondering how the fuck he got his sub to cut in this song.

khujo1023

NOTE: I am watching this in SPAN and using my ears. It looks 'comparabale' to some of the other tracks i'm referencing... Even the drums have some clarity but the bass sucks...

fanu

I think the bass in that one was done by two different synths… (there's actually two different reeses there…not sure if you can tell, heh)

One was a Serum thing, and the other a Reese bass rack for Ableton Live that I've put out for free via my blog.
I think what I probably did with at least one of them was do a 2-osc reese, but the bass sub was drifting in and out, so I did a clean sub with Ableton Operator.

What I often do is treat the sub region on its own and breathe some life on regions above it.
E.g., Fabfilter Saturn is great for this: you can isolate the sub (you always want to keep your sub range as clean as possible) and roast the regions above it.

In mastering stage I always use Ozone Dynamics to control the sub range on its own once again (<74 Hz or so) and lift it up if I feel I need more; gives you a very clean result.

Always pay attention to low-mid excitation for bass presence. Ozone Exciter is dope for that, just like Saturn.

I'll do a video of this soon…follow my Youtube channel http://youtube.com/user/fanusamurai/ and especially my playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLatQOhKHwJYZ7ek0RS3KZlLOPp8OrY_HL for these kinds of tips.

khujo1023

Holy shit man! Thank you for responding, that is much appreciated.

I'm splitting freqs with Neutron 2 and believe I can one stop shop what you described within there. I'll give it a try!

Top Bottom