talking style bass... 'yoy's

somantix

this has probably been covered many a time before but im scratching my head as to how on earth to do this... been tryin for ages on reason which is all i have at the moment and would love to crack it! i have been using combinations of bitcrushing and formant filtering to no avial... please ne help would be appreciated.. once again im using reason! THANKS in advance. x

bit chrush and band pass filter controlled by lfo... this sound was old before it was even around though!

bit chrush and band pass filter controlled by lfo... this sound was old before it was even around though!

i remember this sound being on an electro tune on a kissdafunk compliation from 2006 was called robot something

theres some quality jump up dnb with the sound though like

drum addict - pump
cause and effect - b tuff shyte

its on a lot of jackbeats tracks aswell like UFO

i remember this sound being on an electro tune on a kissdafunk compliation from 2006 was called robot something

theres some quality jump up dnb with the sound though like

drum addict - pump
cause and effect - b tuff shyte

this sound is one of the worst in jump up... and don't worry, i aint one of the jump up haterz on here, so my opinion aint biased in that respect!

although it has been rinsed i still think it can work well in some tunes. saying that tho, whenever i put em in a tune i make after a while i am embarrassed to play it! depends how its used imo - warning dminds remix is the worst example i have ever heard...

that sound is in not one single jack beats track. they don't use bitcrushers to get their bass sounds, it's obvious because bitcrushers usually sound pretty crappy unless you know what you're doing, and even then you can tell they don't bitcrush their basses, it's not even the yoy sound.

as for people using bitcrushers and using this sound in tons and tons of songs. yeah it gets a little repetetive. i actually really like this sound but i am getting tired of it. i think its alright to use it in one or two original tracks, but you should atleast filter it differently, apply different effects or something, and make it sound unique to all the other ones.

since you are using reason, which doesnt allow external VST's, the only thing you can do to achieve this sound is to use a bitcrusher, which sucks in my oppinion because bitcrushers usually come out sounding like garbage. i use Native Instruments Massive VST and you can achieve a very high quality sounding "yoy" with it. all you have to do is use the "modern talking" waveform, and apply an LFO to the "wavetable position". put a formant filter on that, and apply that same LFO to the "intensity" knob and you got yourself a pretty interesting sound.

I have done this in two of my latest tracks, which you can listen to here:

http://soundcloud.com/clydehawkins

The dubstep track titled "Give Me A What?" displays this sound very well, the other track is a fidget house track and the sound isnt quite as prominent in the "yoy" department, but it sounds good to me. I havn't heard anyone use this exact sound the way i have it so i think i did a good job of being original without the yoy being overdone and annoying.

that sound is in not one single jack beats track. they don't use bitcrushers to get their bass sounds, it's obvious because bitcrushers usually sound pretty crappy unless you know what you're doing, and even then you can tell they don't bitcrush their basses, it's not even the yoy sound.

as for people using bitcrushers and using this sound in tons and tons of songs. yeah it gets a little repetetive. i actually really like this sound but i am getting tired of it. i think its alright to use it in one or two original tracks, but you should atleast filter it differently, apply different effects or something, and make it sound unique to all the other ones.

since you are using reason, which doesnt allow external VST's, the only thing you can do to achieve this sound is to use a bitcrusher, which sucks in my oppinion because bitcrushers usually come out sounding like garbage. i use Native Instruments Massive VST and you can achieve a very high quality sounding "yoy" with it. all you have to do is use the "modern talking" waveform, and apply an LFO to the "wavetable position". put a formant filter on that, and apply that same LFO to the "intensity" knob and you got yourself a pretty interesting sound.

I have done this in two of my latest tracks, which you can listen to here:

http://soundcloud.com/clydehawkins

The dubstep track titled "Give Me A What?" displays this sound very well, the other track is a fidget house track and the sound isnt quite as prominent in the "yoy" department, but it sounds good to me. I havn't heard anyone use this exact sound the way i have it so i think i did a good job of being original without the yoy being overdone and annoying.

thats very good music,can you please tell me ho to make bass drop like in your dubstep tune? why your sub sounds so sweat??

thats very good music,can you please tell me ho to make bass drop like in your dubstep tune? why your sub sounds so sweat??

thank you. are you referring to when its just the sub bass dropping? if so, all you have to do is put a "glide" or "slide" on a sine wave bass and pitch shift it down. pretty simple stuff, you know, have it at a high note and then shift it down to a low note.

thank you. are you referring to when its just the sub bass dropping? if so, all you have to do is put a "glide" or "slide" on a sine wave bass and pitch shift it down. pretty simple stuff, you know, have it at a high note and then shift it down to a low note.

I am using reason 4.... I tried to pitch down constant sub bass sine wave but it sounded alot worse that your drop... how you make that sweet sub? :)

that's weird. i dont know i just used a sine wave and did what i said.

do you have reason 4? I would like to send you my save so you can upgrade it little bit.... what effects you use on that sub? reverb,distortion... I am working hard on my first serious dubstep tune,please,enlight my with your mighty producion skillz :D

I use distortion and reverb on my wobble ( its cut at 150hz ) and 3 analog sine waves that are totaly similiar ( it sounds more heavy than one but I think its maybe overloadning my sub ) for sub,when I dont use distortion on sub it sounds too sterile but when I use even little bit of distortion it loose its kick... how can I make sub to have its own characteristic sound,rich harmonic information without taking out that smooth sine wave power? thanks

I have no idea about Reason, but in general low pass a saw or square or other wave form to get some character in your sub. You can still keep your sine layer in there. Try a few things, see what your ears tell you.

do you have reason 4? I would like to send you my save so you can upgrade it little bit.... what effects you use on that sub? reverb,distortion... I am working hard on my first serious dubstep tune,please,enlight my with your mighty producion skillz :D

I use distortion and reverb on my wobble ( its cut at 150hz ) and 3 analog sine waves that are totaly similiar ( it sounds more heavy than one but I think its maybe overloadning my sub ) for sub,when I dont use distortion on sub it sounds too sterile but when I use even little bit of distortion it loose its kick... how can I make sub to have its own characteristic sound,rich harmonic information without taking out that smooth sine wave power? thanks

no i use FL Studio 9. i tried reason a long time ago and the minute i realized you can't use external plugins i got rid of it. and i just use native instruments massive to make my sounds. i apply some distortion and a "dimension expander" which is a built in effect in massive that widens the sound and makes it sound larger. i would enlighten you but i dont use reason haha. and i don't know what to tell you about the sine waves, i don't know much about the really technical stuff.

Back
Top Bottom