"Tales from the studio" From DubstepF

D-Jhepz

◕‿◕
VIP Junglist
I've been experimenting recently with the Routing in reaper.

Everyone talks about how many possibilities it has, then they just use it for sidechaining, gating and traditional effects (for want of a better term)

I've been experimenting with some very 80s ideas, such as having drum hits launch monophonic sequences.

A complicated one I used was to have a snare drum launch a low sine wave, then have a kick drum to open the gate on the sub, this meant that when a kick followed a snare it was a big subby one, but when it was only a kick drum it was just the transient part.

I'm planning to use this to design a track where everything has an effect on something else, or triggers something else. Hopefully it'll be chaos, but understandably so. Almost like generative music I guess.

Taken that from a post in DubstepForum...

my question is how would one do these things in Logic... simple side chaining? running them through a sampler (please not i hate using multi instrument samplers)?

to carry the thread on too, what are you examples of complextity/ creativity in the studio?

for me ive taken on alot of projects with vocal work, and been experiementing with various fx such a heavier flangers and phases panning all over the place - getting some very nice vocal works from that, just having trouble mixing them all in place

Logic is the KING when it comes to easily routing tracks, applying sidechaining, gating, etc.

A large percentage of Logic plugins have a built-in sidechain tab right within it's dialogue box. For example, when you open the compressor, in the upper right corner is the sidechain tab where you can define the target. This applies to the other sidechain capable plugins in Logic as well; you'll always find the location of the sidechain function in the same place.

You can achieve lots of great gating tricks by using Logic's noise gate. For example, place a noise gate on a synth channel and set the sidechain to a track containing a break. Adjust the threshold to your taste and you'll notice the synth will be audible when the hits of the break are triggering it, creating a very "chopped" sound. This is of course a very basic example, but it serves as a good starting point for the capabilities of the noise gate.

You can also use sidechaining for the Ring Modulator, Vocoder (for obvious reasons) and many other of Logic's plugins. The key is to simply experiment.

When it comes to routing drums, msmith222 and myself go crazy with it. Basically, we send all of kicks to a buss, our snares to a buss, percussion and overheads to a buss. Then, each of those buss' get sent to a final buss labeled "drums" where we can apply some final processing to "glue" them all together. If you do a search in the forum for the "Beginniner's Logic Template," you can download one we've setup for all to use.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom