Taking Proper Care of Vinyls?

Mason John

21st Junta
This might be in the wrong forum; apologies in advance (if so can a mod move it to the right spot?). Well I just got the record player from my sis last night and tested my vinyls on it this afternoon. It's a very old record player (probably 80s or something) and some of the songs skip here and there; could be a platter or needle issue, I'll look into it.

But anyway, I'm wondering if there are any articles or advice anyone can give me on taking care of your vinyls. I'm content to just store them in their sleeves when not playing them, but I caught a lot of debris on them on the test (like, lint basically) and tried wiping it off w/ a dry cloth. Do vinyl records normally attract lint and particles no matter what? And does that interfere w/ playback?

Some rec's on cleaning procedures, tools, temperature thresholds etc. would be nice :afro:

I believe you're meant to store them vertically, for cleaning products you can get specific vinyl cleaner but I'm pretty sure it's the same as standard window cleaner, as long as it's alcohol based so it vaps off quickly.
Check viperfrank out on youtube, he has a load of videos on this stuff.

I believe you're meant to store them vertically

No. Store them in their sleeves sideways if you can, like on a shelf, so you can slide them out to one side.
There is gravity on earth which pulls everything downwards including dust. If a sleeve opening is vertical, dust will get in more than if they are stored on their side.

don't think it really matters which way you store them as long as they are in the sleeve and not just chuck them around etc but one massive tip DO NOT LEAVE VINYL'S NEAR A WINDOW ON A HOT DAY had that happen last summer and warped aload of my vinyl's i was fucking gutted

Last edited:
T&D said stack them vertically, which I agree on. As opposed to horizontally, as per the video below.

I was merely saying to stack them vertically & have the sleeve opening on one side so they can slide out & less dust is likely to get in if the opening is on the side, as opposed to the opening at the top.

Like sliding out a book from a book shelf. Was lost in translation a little

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice; everyone. I was stacking them horizontally, even now (rushing to closet to fix this shameful error). Probably explains all the lint issues.

Holy shit tho, actually cleaning these things actually looks fun; seems you can get a little artsy if you wanted.

- - - Updated - - -

Thought about this, too, but maybe the reason the records are skipping on my record player is b/c the platter is only made for 7" records; the vinyls I have barely leave enough surface room on the thing, so I'm definitely starting to think that's the reason for that problem.

Back
Top Bottom