Take care of your hearing!!

I need to get some serious ones. I bought some reasonably good ones for about 15 quid, but I think investing in some better ones will enable me to enjoy a club more. I think ill go through the nhs aswell. thanks for the heads up gordo, i probably would have spent way to much at some shitty dj store!

Id rather have plugs that attenuate the sound rather than miss whole frequency ranges of the track. Both types are available but it's the attenuating ones I'm going for.

Is it worth getting ones that are cheaper than 120 buck? I had a pair which i brought for around 20 sheets and they were ok. Can't remember what they were though and ive lost them now.

Has anyone got any links to any good ones you can buy off net?

well, even the cheaper will do if you just go out raving.
The custom one are mostly for Djing, as they're cut flat to your ear, and not sticking out like the cheaper ones, so you can wear headphones over them.
dont just go to raves with no plugs, thinking its not worth unless you have the expensive ones. get some cheap ones now, and if you are spinning records, save up for the custom ones, as your ears get most punishment when playing.

oh, and if anyone calls you a duche for wearing earplugs, tell em to fuck off.
Had this a few times so far by drunken pricks. "why you wearing that shit? stay home if you dont want loud music"

ye, i'll be the douche which can hear in my 40's...

Last edited:
u ever been to a rave where the mids and tops are really high?
sounds awful then for 5days after your ears are just ringing?

I've never been to a loud rave, what with being 32 and all.

Hearing damage is caused by LOUDNESS. As in decibels.

That ringing (tinnitus) is caused by the loudness (well actually your nerves dying). High frequencies are unpleasant, especially for children but they're not in themselves likely to damage your hearing unless loud.

And plugs that cut certain frequencies would be a very stupid idea. A dj with a pair would think that there are no highs and boost them - causing everybody to run away.

I used to have absolutely fantastic hearing - its still not bad but I regret not using ear plugs. I'm never going to be a sound engineer - and thats true for most of your ravers.

so if one of my ears seems to be "louder" than the other when i change ther ear my headfone is in does that mean i got loss of hearing in 1 ear? should i change montoring sides? is it permanant? and 1 more q lol does this mean it will deteriorate quicker now than if i had perfect hearing? any help would be wicked this thread has scared the fuck outta me :O

so if one of my ears seems to be "louder" than the other when i change ther ear my headfone is in does that mean i got loss of hearing in 1 ear? should i change montoring sides? is it permanant? and 1 more q lol does this mean it will deteriorate quicker now than if i had perfect hearing? any help would be wicked this thread has scared the fuck outta me :O

Your hearing may be damaged. Go and talk to a doctor, the test is painless. You may be listening much too loudly on your monitoring ear.

Hearing loss caused by noise is permanent.

My eardrum's healed itself just in time for Saturday :D Audiologist said it would take 2-6 weeks and it only just took 1 :D

Got some ear plugs coming still, not risking that shit again.

once i got jumped and smacked round the ear with a shank(dunno what type o' shank) and for a couple of weeks after my ear just leaked liquidy wax all the time..it felt horrible and i had this funny smell which was horrible(no1 else could smell it luckily..i did check)..it must have done something wierd i dunno what though.

also i could stick a cotton bud far into my ear without it hurting it actually felt good when i did it lol....does anyone know what happened to my ear? im just curious..
Its all better and back to normal now though thank god

you got raped in the ear.

Im at uni training to be an audiologist now.
I can tell you all that ear plugs are a good thing and worth investing in. I have been using them for a while at all the raves I go to and they are brilliant. You can take them out after a rave and there is no tinnitus or dullness:)

Back
Top Bottom