T Leaf - Tokyo Jargon [9 minutes]

T Leaf

Neighbourhood Sickhead
VIP Junglist
Hey everyone, i posted this in the production area because i had some problems with stereo issue and needed technical stuff sorted. didnt get any replies, but decided to have a go at fixing it anyway.

it's still not 100% fixed in this respect but i think this is a minor issue.

please don't listen to this at full volume as you may get some unintended crackles. 70-80% volume is recommended for this.

basically i'd like some feedback on the progression of this one. i'm really happy with the way everything sounds at the moment which is why i'm getting reluctant to remove spacial problems.

i havent got many sound FXs in this, i decided to write something in the key of C and think this is a good enough track to share and get ideas from you guys.

if you think certain areas need to be longer or shortened let me know.

Cheers for your time (i know its a long track, over 9 minutes!, but i think it was needed to express all of the compositional elements)

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=3e14ec3466d132b75bf1f12f1ff3f30a347ca0fce316e7a6ce018c8114394287

for people having mediafire trouble use below link

http://www.zshare.net/audio/62572300f397a2d5/

big ups

Last edited:
From listening on my shit headphones there doesnt seem to be a big bass presence? I think the drums could benefit from a hi passed break too to help it roll a bit more. Liking the choppy drums parts mate! Sounds a bit bare at times tho, find or make some 'backround' samples or somthing to fill the spectrum? There some some good evolving ideas in there too.

cheers state yeh your right it is a bit sparse at the minute, not sure if i'll change it as im going for the idea that there is wide space, backgrounds sometimes close the gaps. the bass is sub low but its certainly present. its not overpowering the mix. what kind of background would you suggest to keep the track airy?

oh man 9 minutes? not going to listen to the whole thing I assure you............... but still a peek listen is better than nothing right? BTW before listening you can't have crackling in tunes above certain levels - either the smack crackle and pop is there or it isnt - Maybe your master is distorting at some point? Could a light limiter with very light settings fix it?

On now to the tune, I'll write as I listen as I'm feelin a bit lazy.

i guess not. the page refuses to load.

oh man 9 minutes? not going to listen to the whole thing I assure you............... but still a peek listen is better than nothing right?

Sorry kama but im asking for help on the compositional values throughout and the only way to get a full feel for the composition of a track is to listen to it all. but any help is better than none.. thanks

BTW before listening you can't have crackling in tunes above certain levels - either the smack crackle and pop is there or it isnt - Maybe your master is distorting at some point? Could a light limiter with very light settings fix it?

Nothing is pushing above 0db and it already has a 0 - 150hz mono and a brickwall limiter at the end of the chain to assure nothing pops its head over. i hear a lot of you guys master your tracks so it peaks at -3db. would that be the problem? that i peak at 0db?

On now to the tune, I'll write as I listen as I'm feelin a bit lazy.

i guess not. the page refuses to load.

strange... it seems to work for others, i'll host it again somewhere else for anyone else having these problems.

peace

The main reasons for the crackle would probably either be clipping or a latency issue. Forget the latency because that's a playback issue and rendering would have fixed that I'm sure? so I would guess it's clipped somewhere. If lowering the master buss to -3 doesn't work then it must be in one of your tracks. Maybe the panning was pushing the left or right channel above 0db?
Maybe you've tried this, but I would go back and mute each track individually and try and pinpoint it that way.
Sorry if this was all obvious and you've tried it allready.

hey subprime, yeh i have checked heh, but cheers. its a strange one, i thought it was throwing the left or right channels but it could be accumulative frequency distortion among many buss' so it might mean grouping each effect back into one buss then eqing that buss. maybe even just thins the stereo or mono it to see if i can define the problem

do you have any looping sounds or samples? Maybe you need to adjust loop points so they fall on the same level of a waveform. Just an idea.
Drums are nice and clear. Bass seems a bit muddy. I think the main synth tune sounds a bit keyboardy. Some good ideas here, sounds like you have put some time in on this one.
keep it up mate.
peace

hmm, i only have a few loop samples, but i get what you mean sir, maybe it could be synth release or something similar to the waveform idea, i'll have to look into that next. cheers man

hmm, i only have a few loop samples, but i get what you mean sir, maybe it could be synth release or something similar to the waveform idea, i'll have to look into that next. cheers man

yeah look at the loop points on the wave form and make sure the points are on the same size, shape waveform to ensure smooth transition from end to start again.
good luck mate

not get any crackles over here...drums sound well clean and punchy, i personally prefer a bit more dirtyness there but thats jus me. can see why its name tokyo from the sound. i cant work out if i like the chord pattern - def something different. really feelin the lead line at 3.40 tho. that little section around 7.20 is absolutely quality, love the metal/mechanic feel of it - right up my street. i was thinkin its a bit of a welcome break from that same snare u had going before, was gettin a bit much for me. jus wonderin how long did this tune take u?

not get any crackles over here...drums sound well clean and punchy, i personally prefer a bit more dirtyness there but thats jus me. can see why its name tokyo from the sound. i cant work out if i like the chord pattern - def something different. really feelin the lead line at 3.40 tho. that little section around 7.20 is absolutely quality, love the metal/mechanic feel of it - right up my street. i was thinkin its a bit of a welcome break from that same snare u had going before, was gettin a bit much for me. jus wonderin how long did this tune take u?

yes co0ke! i thought i'd get a comment about the snare hehe

cheers, this one took me roughly a week of going back n forth from other projects. the main focus was to get that japanese sound going with the 7ths after i made the chords, but even the line at 3:40 seems tokyo'ish to me now :D

toughest part was those metallic glitch drums too hehe so thanks mate (y)

Back
Top Bottom