DnB Syte - After Hours 3.0

SyteSyc

DnB addict
Third mix in the After Hours series. Laid back melodic drum and bass aimed at the car, lounge, or headphones instead of the dancefloor. Started off the series making a mix for a friend so he could play it in his office when everyone else went home. Hope you enjoy it. Start or end your day with good vibes!

1) [0:00] The Hurting - LSB
2) [2:58] Cosmic Rain - Pluton & Skyer
3) [6:29] Timeless - Paul Saint Jack
4) [10:01] All Fall Down - FullCasual & Skyweep
5) [13:43] The Sky - Synox & Psyko Konceptor
6) [17:26] The Golden Section - Technimatic
7) [21:30] Give It Up - Etherwood
8) [25:19] Tarbet Hotel (Subway Funk remix) - Subway Funk, Dirrty B, Smote
9) [29:43] In The Waiting Line (S.P.Y. remix) - Zero 7
10) [34:30] No Ordinary Love (LSB remix) - Sade
11) [39:18] Morning Sun - Bachelors of Science & Smote
12) [43:43] Raised By Wolves - Tokyo Prose
13) [47:45] Everything Is Everything - Utah Jazz & Alex Reece
14) [50:41] Need To Feel Loved - Skyweep
15) [55:23] Shh (Vital remix) - Frou Frou
16) [59:04] Gravity (Lenzman remix) - Shapeshifter

Last edited:
Sytesyc,

After Hours 3.0, filled with plethora of liquid vibes, vocal one liners, and with a path of least resistance is what I get away from the over all set. Generally speaking, very chilled out, and a perfect car trip / long bus ride of a set as advertised! Aside of that, the noticeable tempo is what sets this up properly. A little slower than usual which is absolutely fitting for the mood. The string of mixes between 'The Hurting' --> 'Cosmic Rain' --> 'Timeless' has to be put on notice. Really like how the various vocals blend here, specifically as 'Cosmic Rain' (excuse the pun) rains on top of 'The Hurting.' Nice attention to detail in that mix. Full Casual & Skyweep's 'All Fall Down' is familiar territory, and liking the inclusion of letting that one play out a little, letting it breathe, before ramping up the atmos with 'The Sky.' Smasher! I was getting worried that the set might be heading towards a prototypical liquid feel of vocal smashers without taking the set in to different directions. But 'The Sky' gives your audience the understanding that you can take chances in your set, and I really like that in DJ's. Have to point out the awesome EQ'n prior to mixing 'The Golden Section.' That was good awareness there.

The mid sections of the mix has been noticed, and back to the vocals on 'Give it Up' before once again picking up the pace in 'Tarbet Hotel,' which was a nice deflector from the vocals on a full instrumental vibe. Pattern established, and I dig it all the way, carving the path in the filler with 'In The Waiting Line' before expertly calculating the massive drop of Sade's 'No Ordinary Love.' Impressively done! Holy shit. Heading in to 'Raised by Wolves,' the keys on there pulsating and effectively captivating. Really dig the direction there before the set takes on the final plateau, including once again familiar sounds in Skyweep's 'Need to Feel Loved' while the closing elements in 'Gravity' remained strong.

Overall, there's not much criticism to be had on an otherwise excellent set. I think your audience direction was well thought of and it really showed with precise and calculated mixes. You have a good feel of when to apply some proper EQ'n, and the blending of vocals is well executed. Recommendations would probably include taking the set in to different directions and not be scared to lose the overall vibe. The track 'The Skye' was a perfect example of that, really dig that mix, and would've loved if you continued it for at least 2 more mixes along that path by taking the audience in to full atmos detour before bringing them back. Sticking to the 'tried and true' ways of DJ'n works in a club setting, but building a journey for people to listen to is a whole new game. None of the less, I really dig this mix, and hope to hear more in the future.

Please feel invited to visit and follow my Soundcloud page on my signature. Cheers!

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the feedback. I am happy to receive any feedback at all, but I've never had a review like this. I appreciate you taking the time to listen at all, and on top of that take the time to write a detailed review. As I gathered songs over the past year, I had a general concept in mind. I tried to make it a journey, with a mixture of instrumentals and vocals, and a mix of rollers and percussive basslines. I wanted to keep away from huge, fat snares and keep it lower energy. I also wanted it to elevate the listener's mood by the end of the mix.

Over several months, it took me over 20 full recordings to get it right with many revisions to the track list. And that doesn't count the times I stopped in the middle of recording and gave up. I truly appreciate anyone that takes the time to listen to my mixes, it is my hobby and passion. I am honored to have such a review, and I will definitely try to take more risks next time :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom