synthesizers used for techstep?

Discussion in 'Production' started by djdizzy, May 26, 2013.

1. djdizzy

djdizzy Active Member

i've been curious what were the most common/popular synths used by techstep producers in the late 90's/early 00's by ppl like teebee, technical itch, j majik, bad company, john b, dillinja, calyx, etc for their reeses? i'm curious what synths offered capability for thoae type of reeses and their modulation, how they got the type of eq/lfo/pitch modulation, etc?

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  2. MisterApe

MisterApe 8bit junkie

I love using Surge for my reeses, just sounds a lot warmer and bigger than most soft synths. (lots of processing involved ofcourse.)

3. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

back in the 90's it was all hardware based. So they wouldve used the likes of Moog, Korg, roland etc. They wouldn't have been using Massive that's for sure!

4. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

Don't forget the Emu sampler.

5. JimpaDirt

JimpaDirt Vettvilling

What fletch and subprime said! Go search the interwebs for some moog synth samples.. or if u have access to the real deal - even better. However you could try to recreate the sound in massive or your vst of choise. You can get close but it wont be as great im sure.

6. Menosance

Menosance aka OSOI

Virus synthizers are used quite a lot in techstep. DLR uses one (even the utopia family i think)

7. djdizzy

djdizzy Active Member

yeah i was def leaning towards examples of hardware synths for sure, i'm not curious about trying to sample or get aa close as possible with a vst. i was curious if anyone knew through interviews of any other source of info - what model hardware synths were some of these guys using? dom & roland i think is safe to sau he used a roland ;) and korg + moog would be good ones but does anyone know what artists may have used a certain model? i have a jp8000 which was def popular around this time but more for trance. it can do great basses but the lfo and other modulation is weak. so what kind of roland was dom using? or examples of others?

thanks for the replies

8. Mason John

Mason John 21st Junta

This. Also there's a neat vst-i out there called TwinBee w/ a raw Reese that's pretty accurate to the real deal; you'd just need to tune it up some. You can find it for free online.

I dunno what machines most artists were using, but I know Akai instruments were/are also extremely popular, especially the MPC series. For sure, I know Goldie used the Juno in some of his early output, and I could probably find out more on what other artists used if I did some research into it.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  9. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Id probably go with the Korg Monotron, Roland 303, 404 and 808. Yes, The E-mu sampler! The Moog MiniMoog and Moog Little Phatty to name just a few.

10. djdizzy

djdizzy Active Member

time to research into the synths/sampler/vst named
    thanks guys for the direction

since i recently watched some training videos for fm8 i've started to really love that synth. its modulation capabilities are great, not as convenient as ni massive but i'm never happy with the sound coming out of massive. it always sounds very thin and requires a dozen plugins to make it sound decent, whereas fm8 just needs a little eq'ing and produces some really great bass sounds that have more depth to them and just sound so much better. the feedback oscillator on the jp8000 surprisingly puts out some great bass sounds but the lfo sounds like crap on thr jp8000. anyway i've been a techstep fan since the late 90's and have always wondered what my fav producers used to make their bass sounds and for modulating them.

11. Prideinyouride

Prideinyouride Member

Check out Fractures tutorial- he shows you how he made the bass for The Limit using an 808, mackie desk and emu sampler.

12. djdizzy

djdizzy Active Member

prideinyouride, i found the fracture & neptune vid on youtube. thanks for that recommendation, that really cleared it up. for everyone with the emu replies, that nailed it. after watching some emu vids on youtube, modulating and distorting simple 808 samples into some amazing ed rush & optical-type bass sounds. that's exactly what i was trying to figure out, so it seems the emu is the answer i was looking for.

i love this forum, thanks again 2 everyone