Synth trouble

Niceneasyuk

It seems like i can make some pretty sweet bass synths, but as usualy they're never perfect. When i go to perfect them and make them sound crisp i just end up masking them with 'over synthing'. It's like i'm pushing them further into the track and they lose life. Is there a common way to phatten your synths whilst still retaining the gritty life they start off with when a basic synth.

~Fuck sake i thought i put this in the production forum, my bad. move it anyone??

It seems like i can make some pretty sweet bass synths, but as usualy they're never perfect. When i go to perfect them and make them sound crisp i just end up masking them with 'over synthing'. It's like i'm pushing them further into the track and they lose life. Is there a common way to phatten your synths whilst still retaining the gritty life they start off with when a basic synth.

~Fuck sake i thought i put this in the production forum, my bad. move it anyone??

How do you mean, 'over synthing'? I'd suggest keep it simple and don't do your synth sounds solo, listen to the whole track while tweaking the synth, that could help.

uhm.. I spend hours on end tinkering in all forms solo, with just drums, the whole song etc etc. What i mean is, i get a realy sweet sounding bass synth but when i come to mastering it/crisping it up so it's not as raw as it's original element. It seems like it loses it's power and umph, sounding 'synthetic' giving it that poorly produced feel.
Just wandering if theres any EQ/Compression tips than can fatten the sound with out losing it's raw sound.

uhm.. I spend hours on end tinkering in all forms solo, with just drums, the whole song etc etc. What i mean is, i get a realy sweet sounding bass synth but when i come to mastering it/crisping it up so it's not as raw as it's original element. It seems like it loses it's power and umph, sounding 'synthetic' giving it that poorly produced feel.
Just wandering if theres any EQ/Compression tips than can fatten the sound with out losing it's raw sound.

take some of the bass out of the synth and add a nice fat sub bass, dont overdo it tho. Im no expert, i just find that it does help. ;)

take some of the bass out of the synth and add a nice fat sub bass, dont overdo it tho. Im no expert, i just find that it does help. ;)

i second that, to me a tune is a compound of layers in different frequencies and you could be able to shape - tweak, sidechain those layers. also this lets you have the flexibility to emphasize which sound you want to be heard more in time or prevent from clashing of sounds.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom