DnB Sykik - I know your out there.... (WIP) . Really need feedback on this little snippet

Psykologik

Hi, I have been messing around with production for a few years and recently i've decided i'd like to take my hobby up a notch. Personally i think i'm at an ok(ish) standard but i'd really like some good honest feedback to guide me on my way.

Here's a snippet of something i've started working on which consists of mainly the intro with a bit of the main track. My main problem i have is working on bass. I'm not exactly in the ideal environment to reference where i'm going right and wrong with it and any help anyone can offer me on that aswell would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Re: Sykik - I know your out there.... (WIP) . Really need feedback on this little sni

Sounds great to me love the relaxed spacious feel on the intro and the energy when the bass kicks in. I think you could add some delay to the hats in the intro section, along with some other incidental noises to add to the antisipation as it's rather spars atm

Re: Sykik - I know your out there.... (WIP) . Really need feedback on this little sni

Thanks, really appreciate it. :)

Adding various little elements is definately on the agenda, and i really like the idea of spicing up the hats with some delay, oddly enough that's never crossed my mind before considering it seems like such a simple yet effective thing to do. They say you learn something new every day...

You are on good way this sounds great,for me that bass sound sits very nice in this tune!!

definately agree about adding some subtle delay on the hats in the intro, but drop the delay out once the beat kicks in! Nice spacey atmosphere in the intro, but like others have said, some little FX and stuff would help lots.

I actually think the intro is a bit too long, I tend to try and have the tune drop at around the 1 minute mark, but then thats just my taste. A bit of automation on the filter of the bass would also really help this track come to life.......Good effort so far tho mate, keep it up

Some great feedback there guys, thanks :)

Really motivating me to push on!

Mr fletch, am i right in thinking from what you said to basically grab a filter (fabfilter Volcano for instance) and tease around with the cutoff to add some movement to the mid bass. Sorry if my terminology is a bit off but i'm not hugely clued up on it all as yet lol.

Yeah pretty much....There should be a filter already in the synth you used to create the bass (unless it's a sample, in which case yeah, just throw a filter on there) Then automate it to open and close over varying periods of time, giving it a morphing effect

Cool, yeah it did start it's life in a synth as did all the pads and leads but i had to bounce them out to give my computer some breathing space but i'll give that a whirl when i'm next on it.

Automating different parameters to add movement to sounds is something i need to make more of an effort to do to be fair. I've searched for tutorials and advice on that type of thing but all i seem to find is stuff showing you how to twist a reese to buggery when i prefer a more subtle and less concious, but not predictable kind of movement. I guess for the most part it's kind of trial and error until you find a way that suits you.

What DAW do you use? Im off to bed now but if your on AIM or about here tomorrow I'll try and give you some more in depth guidelines...

I've settled on Cubase 5. Some more guidance would be great thanks and yeah I'll be on here tomorrow evening hopefully :)

These may be of help Sabre - Production Masterclass. I tracked these down as I'm at the same position as you regarding bass atm

The third one of these videos deal with bass production focusing on splitting the signal and applying movement to the mids:

http://www.multiupload.com/4D2I2YKJBP

http://www.multiupload.com/NY4EIMH8AU

http://www.multiupload.com/I2N90Q3OBP

http://www.multiupload.com/BT42P3AAHN

http://www.multiupload.com/R0Z07F6U9N

listening....

pads on the intro sound great, hi hats could do with a bit of delay/ reverb as they sound a bit dry, break sounds good when it comes in, nice groove, intro is pretty long, personally i stick to 1.30 although you could argue thats boring and predictable,

bass is letting the track down slightly, personally id add some automation and eq some of the high frequencies out too.

very good start tho

Thanks oversight. I'm a bit of a fanboy of long intro's to be fair but i'll admit it needs a bit more to it to keep the interest going. I'm looking at playing around and adding some movement to the mids and leads once i've got myself clued up a bit more.

Appreciate the feedback :)

to be honest mate you should do what you want, if you want it to have a long intro, make the intro long, it might put people off, but for other people, like yourself, who like a long intro it will mean even more and be appreciated by them. stay true to your own style

i like the intro pal, ive got a problem with the synth that comes in the 2.14 mark... maybe you could sidechain it thru a compressor so its more of an evolving sound, that way it will have a lot more depth and intrigue to the song

Back
Top Bottom