Switching DAWs...starting over.

tim_c

So I've been using Fruity Loops for 4 years now- however, I bought a Macbook primarily as a DJ laptop and at the same time, my Fruity Loops computer is falling apart. I thought "Ok, I'll just learn how to use Logic".

However, I'm feeling ridiculously frustrated. It's like starting all over again. In addition to this, part of the frustration may be because I haven't installed Komplete 7 with Logic (as it is installed with Fruity).

So question is: Should I stick it out and learn how to use Logic (and install Komplete 7)...or just run bootcamp and use Fruity Loops (and install Komplete 7). I only have one Komplete 7 install remaining.

It's like learning a new language.

-Tim

Last edited:
If it aint broke dont try and fix it!

If you can still run FL, and are happy using it, then I'd suggest sticking with it. I made the switch from FL to Ableton a couple years back, and loved the move, but it just depends on personal preference I guess.

Learning how to be able to use multiple daws is always a good thing.
FL studio is just a bit weird (to me atleast) in that the workflow is just different than lets say Cubase or Logic, Ableton etc..

FL Studio man has lifetime free upgrades. I've always stuck with it and any other program I try to use I have no idea how to do anything and so everything sounds like crap.

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate the opposing views- gets my brain working more. For the time being, I'm going to try the whole "patience" thing. Despite us all producing one of the most impatient forms of music...

I tried about 3 different DAWs last year in a desperate bid to start a fresh but it just made me realise that I loved the way Reason works and feels, I guess if you're comfortable with a certain software and/or have good knowledge of an extra 1 or 2 then you can't go wrong really!

If you feel comfy with FL then I'd stick with that dude! Maybe try a producing a different style to mix things up a bit?

I moved from fl to logic a few years a go and it helped me actually learn about music production. With fl I was just doing lots of random shit and I had no idea what I was doing

Just be informed thoroughly over how much learning a new DAW will benefit you as a musician; otherwise, learning a new one and not giving any real benefits in capabilities and workflow could just as good have been used to make new music. FL Studio is a wonderful program with many options now, so make sure the facts are clear before you take the jump! That said, knowing multiple DAWs makes you powerful but also takes up your precious time...

Back
Top Bottom