Sweeps, rolls etc.

Discussion in 'Production' started by dicobraz, Dec 13, 2010.

1. dicobraz

dicobraz New Member

Hey Everyone

I looked on the net for a while, havent found anything too helpful! I am wondering how are those sounds made? the sounds would be synth sweeps, noise sweeps, rolls etc etc, basically those pshshshshsSHSHSHS sound and than something kicks in or boom pshshshshsSHSHSHSH something drops... I hope that makes sense:D

Thank you!

2. RevTech

RevTech Butthole=output transduce

Oh man, how I wish I could sig you if it weren't for my sig already being god status.

But actually, I'd say, search the forum! Try a synth with an lfo that has automation on it to speed up or a sample with pitch automation!

3. dicobraz

dicobraz New Member

Tried that, sounds crap and boring to speed up the lfo or just an automation! The best result so far i got by sampling reversed crash and playing with envelopes etc. But I am aiming to get a sweep with a synth, so crash wont do! I think the key is to go up the octave or smt...hm...

4. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Have a simple oscillator on White noise, and automate the cutoff from closed to open over the space of 4-8 bars depending how long you want your whoosh!

5. ARTFX

ARTFX www.artfx-studios.com

^ This. Maybe layer the white noise with an saw or square layer to make it even more intense!
    Or add an reversed piano note to it.

6. groelle

groelle Well-Known Member

add an overtone to your synth and detune everything so you dont really got a defined sound but more like a wall of sound, then envelope the pitch and eq everything apart from a little bit around the 2khz mark out.

witz overtone i meant a fifth oder something like that, so you dont play only one note..

7. djdevz

djdevz Member

get a mic and record urself saying pshshshshsSHSHSHS

8. ARTFX

Well that is an very good advice. I have a little plugin called Photo Sounder. You can throw in a sample of a vocal for instance and slow it down for about 200 to 300 times.
    Normally that would sound shit but what this little piece of software does is recalculating the audio sample so it can be stretched really nicely.
    Got some serious soundscapes, sweeps and other FX sounds by using that.

The funny thing with this piece of software is that it can even open images like Jpeg for instance and play it as a waveform.
    So you can turn images into sound and vice versa, edit the images in Photoshop or something, layer another image on top and throw that back in the program and turn the image into sound.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  9. dicobraz

dicobraz New Member

oh quite a few things to try! thanks for sharing guys, going to experiment for a bit now!

artfx that plugin seems amazing, really good share, i am quite excited about it:D cheers

10. ARTFX

Hehe, NP mate!

11. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

yeah but photo sounder costs an arm and a leg sadly. paul stretch is free and so is akaizer. akaizer is of course not as smooth as the others but its not supposed to, its supposed to be like an old akai sampler, aha, you see.

12. ARTFX

Hmmm Paul Stretch seems to be a pretty good one!