Super Wicked Awesome Saw Synth Leads

Discussion in 'Production' started by marcelkennard, May 22, 2012.

1. marcelkennard

marcelkennard Storms comin in Annie

FOR EXAMPLE:

The second part of the call and response pattern in this track - I would describe it as kind of an 80s synth sound brought up to date production-wise.

I know the sound is fairly simple but I think there really is something going on in the sound that makes it a lot different from just a standard synth stacked with saw waves detuned and chorused etc.

I guess that in the synth they probably tuned all of the oscillators differently for a chord sound.

Any ideas what else they probably modulated / what waves they may have used to create the sound?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  2. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

I think you're spot on, probably some heavy chorus applied to the sound to give it that "shimmer."

I've been hearing this type of retro synth stab on a lot of tracks lately. If you have Kontakt, check out Retro Machines. You'll find a wealth of classic stabby sounds like this. If not, see if you can find a Juno or 80's synth pack for your sampler of choice.

Cheers.

3. marcelkennard

marcelkennard Storms comin in Annie

Excellent info Lost, I'll check out Retro Machines, see if theres any nice sounds in there!

4. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

I think you'll dig it man. The interface is clean and the sounds have been sampled to perfection. In the event you can't find what you're looking for, check out the JEN SX3000.