Super Easy Bass Request - Simple Garage Wobble

T:M

Dusty Techno Workout
VIP Junglist
Hi everyone,

To be honest I feel like I'm failing hard, asking this question but I can't seem to pin this sound down. The bass I'm after I've heard in a number of Garage tracks. Kind of a muffled, hollow-ish, wobble?

Here are two examples of what I'm talking about:

First at about 0:30 and then throughout parts of the song.

[video=youtube;u_S1WOPcETU]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_S1WOPcETU[/video] At about 1:00

I'm fairly certain that it's as simple as one osc (maybe two) but no matter what I do I just can't get it to sound the same, I suspect that it is a square or maybe a triangle shaped wave. I also already know that there is an LFO on it.

Again, I really feel like a noob asking this but nothing I've tried so far is working for me and this sound would be so awesome in the track I'm working on right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol feeling beat are ya hahhaa

theres a few ways u can make this but if you in massive get a square on the go, put a low pass filter on resonance to about half way up cutt off at 10/11 o'clock stick an envelope on the cut off and turn the attack up sustain up and u should be nearly there, send it to an fx split the channel make one low passed (for sub) the other add chorus and reverb, should be there now. but tbh i doubt ppl even split the channel (its how i would do it) but u can just add the chorus and reverb anyway and high pass and add ur own sub.

To sum this up its a square with an attack on a lowpass filter, alot of resonance, an a chorus/reverb to finish it off. try this with any Daw :2thumbs:

heres a patch i litrally just made tweak it to how u want it... oh an play it just below C3

Last edited:
what synth are you using? in logics es2 i can make that sound using 2 oscs. 1 sine wave frequency modulated with the seocnd osc, then just run it through a low pass filter. maybe assign the LPF to an LFO and beat sync it?

Thanks guys! That is a lot closer to the sound I was going for! I knew it probably had something to do with a square...

@st420 when you say a sine wave freq modded with the 2nd osc do you mean to place the first osc to fm and the second osc to sine?

@Sphinx187 - Thanks for the preset! I only have a demo of Massive but it still allows me to see what is going on and I can sample it also.

Thanks again! Anyone else offering their own way to do it I am all ears!

Last edited:
yeah thats what i meant, but i tried what spinx said and its way more like what you want :). definitely a square wave

Looking back at my previous attempts I've realized where I failed:

1. The drums determine how low I should bring the cutoff to create the womp to get it to sit right. My mistake is that I was trying to make the sound first then use drums.

2. Resonance is required. Resonance has odd effects determining the filter mode, and I often neglect it.

3. Possibility to be enveloped instead of LFO. I do this all the time to make gritty metallic sounds, how could I forget about this method?

ARGH! Why do certain techniques become forgotten when you need them??!?!?!?!?

Back
Top Bottom