Sundown Riddims - Chilled Minimal - Exit Records/Metalheadz/Clarity/Fracture etc.

Zkinz

:DJ Ocelot:
VIP Junglist

Did a little chilled mix inspired by the kind of Exit Records, autonomic-style and other beats been digging recently!

Boards of Canada - Cold Earth
Reso - Simple Pleasures (Om Unit remix)
Adam Elemental - Exile
D Bridge & Instramental - White Snares
Ruffhouse & Clarity - Persecute
Fracture - Better than tomorrow
Dub Phisix - Yukon
Blocks & Escher - Sagan
Ruffhouse & Clarity - Aphasia
Seba - Planetary Funk Alert
Atmos T - Cops
Stray - When it Rains
Commix - Japanese Electronics (Instramental remix)
Instramental - End Credits
>> Jan Hammer - Crocketts theme

Last edited:
Nice intro with Cold Earth. Not heard that one before and the scaled melodic notes in that weren't too much before the beat came in. Been loving that Om Unit remix of Simple Pleasures for a little while too. That sits really well with Cold Earth, but felt that the mix was only in for a little while there. Simple Pleasures remix due to feature in a forthcoming B&B episode ;)

Enjoyed the additional influences that Exile brought to Simple Pleasures rmx, with its woodwind tones and laid back beats. Only been aware of Adam Elemental since a tune of his cropped up on the Scope compilation + now Exile, makes me want to see if he's made any other wicked 170 bpm bits. Didn't have to wait too long till White Snares made its appearance in the mix. I liked how the flutey style instruments in Exile hung in there for the melodic bits in White Snares to sit underneath. When Persecute started to punch on the beat of White Snares it made me smile. Love that tune, and it can be used to great effect in mixes, but do like Aphasia a little more (which I can see is later on in the mix). Better Than Tomorrow came in nicely and I like the way that bounced along with the trademark Ruffhouse sound of Persecute, with Fractures more wooping bass doing the damage. Already thinking the next mix with Yukon will be a quality mix as those two tunes are quality in themselves, the blend didn't disappoint. Love the simplicity of Yukon, together the more chopping beats of Better Than Tomorrow bouncing back and forth kept the tribal step of Yukon moving in a fresh direction.

Sagan was nice to heard again in a mix. A friend of mine has it, its just a little to chop changing for me. Loved when the monotonous bass of Aphasia came brooding its way into the more breakbeaty Sagan. Aphasia is dirty in a mix. Wasn't too keen on Planetary Funk Alert or Cops, but their jazzy flavours were kinda pleasant on the ears. When 'When It Rains' came in, I really liked the way the ambient bits in that eased alongside the the piano from Cops + the way you kept that mix in for a fair while was a nice touch. Getting 'When It Rains' to bounce right with tunes is quite an art I find. Also really liked that you got to hear some of the early intro of Jap Electronics rmx, even if When It Rains was on its way into its outro. I have something nice lined up for Jap Electronics rmx for the end of the year ;) End Credits blended sublimely with the previous tune, as you would expect from 2 tunes from the same producers. The similar flavours of Crocketts Theme were wicked as a tease on the end too. I like seeing something in a mix that I have never thought of mixing with before + only realised what it was as the fade down at the end began.

Wicked mix all together Zkinz. The range of tunes you covered in this spectrum was quite varied, which I liked. More mixes like this please if you can.

Would be wicked if you can check out my latest mix B&B 4 and jot some thoughts, as its on a similar flex to this one, or B&B 5 if you hang on till this weekend:- http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php/...-dBridge-Dan-Habarnam-Stray-Om-Unit-100-vinyl

Wicked watcha! massive respect for the feedback, only just clocked your post, havent logged in for a little while!

really appreciate the in-depth commentary! if youve not heard much of boards of canada's most recent album you should check it, I sped that tune by +25% or something to get it to fit into the mix, but the album's much more chilled/slow but with that 80's synthesque feel to it, highly recommended!

Im going to get on your last 3 mixes now mate, and wack them on the pod for some commute & bass tomorrow!! :gun:

- - - Updated - - -

have you got a download link for your 4th B&B podcast? liking the sound of it!

Last edited:
Im going to get on your last 3 mixes now mate, and wack them on the pod for some commute & bass tomorrow!! :gun:

have you got a download link for your 4th B&B podcast? liking the sound of it!

No worries man.

Please don't call the B&B series 'podcasts'. I hate that term to be honest & it puts me off listening to mixes, unless they are by major labels.
It often implies that tunes are left to play in full before the next tune comes in.

Download links can be found off the main page for the mix, by searching for 'Rifine' in the Members Mixes section or searching the same on dnbshare.
Also, when you get round to writing some thoughts, can you respond to B&B 5 or 6, as B&B 4 is far back and would appreciate it on something more recent. Ez

haha sorry man!

I would use the word to describe a series/collective of mixes that someone would bring out every so often, but i get what your saying!

gunna listen to your newest one tomorrow, will be sure to feedback

safe

Back
Top Bottom