Sucks being a beginner.....

mr meh

VIP Junglist
As above.

I dont put enough time into learning production as i cant make the type of tunes that i want. Everything i make just sounds shit and amateur, despite me watching loads of tutorials and reading various production forums. I get frustrated with my lack of production skills and end up deleting everything ive been working on and then dont try again for ages. I've spent quite a bit of money on a nice little set-up, but im hardly using it, even though ive got plenty of spare time at the mo.

this sucks....

Well thats not a good thought, if u wanna get good u gotta put eeffort and belif into ur work orelse ur just gonna quit before u get any good:) Some years with hard work thats what u need, expernience and knowing what ur doing, learning will never stop either.

And if u got plenty of spare time use it insted of feeling sorry for urself, if u dont get ur desired results now u will if u keep on evovling ur skills. dont give up

take a good tune maybe loxy did round say 2000 and copy it, do the same with a few lee dorsey tunes, write a track of your own, mix up the styles aaaand there we are, a funky stanky sweat dirty old tune you will be proud to call your own.

don't worry I feel your pain.
thats why I'm sticking to the turntables mate.

Production isn't for all of us. Some people just have it.
Logistics once told me that he found some of his best inspirations for production was going out and doing something completely away from making music.

Stick at it! turn that frown upside down!

As above.

I dont put enough time into learning production as i cant make the type of tunes that i want. Everything i make just sounds shit and amateur, despite me watching loads of tutorials and reading various production forums. I get frustrated with my lack of production skills and end up deleting everything ive been working on and then dont try again for ages. I've spent quite a bit of money on a nice little set-up, but im hardly using it, even though ive got plenty of spare time at the mo.

this sucks....

You answered your own question. Put more time in and practise and you will start seeing the results. I dont think anyone ends up with the tune they had in their mind.

hey bro. producing isnt sth that you just do out of bed! it needs time to learn the basics, time so form your style, time so learn how to EQ, time to learn how to produce at all! search for sweet spots, the right software, buy hardware... it's not an easy skill to learn :)

dont give up so fast!

post some of your tracks up, i find the best way for me to learn, is to get interaction from other producers & listeners, dont worry about the level you are at, you have to try everything a few times before it works right, the producers on here offer up some good advice, in just a few months i've learnt a huge amount!

Also you aint alone in feeling like everything sounds shit and amatuerish, but that is a good thing, it means you have to improve it, if you think it sounds amazing, you wont get better, i have 13 hard drives full of music i have written over hte last 10 years, of the dnb i've written, there is only one track I am happy with that was written before 2011!

Dont worry about writing 10 bars then giving up, thats how you learn, every track you write, no matter how short it is or how shit it sounds, it teaches you something, or at the very least speeds up your production so that you have more free time for creative shit in the next track you write

keep at it man, every hihat, bass stab, kick etc you hear on a released (or unreleased) track has many many hours of frustration behind it, just like you are feeling now

cheers for the replies lads

im not looking for sympathy here, just pretty frustrated and needed to vent!

and im using Mixcraft 5, but its not the daw thats the problem here....

and as for posting my shitty tracks up, well i wouldnt feel comfortable doing that yet after hearing all the great tracks that get posted here! lol

i was supposed to be starting on a part time electronic music production course at college in january but it fucking got cancelled :(

its supposed to be starting again in may, hopefully it wont get cancelled this time!

cheers...

Never give up.....EVER!

When I started two years ago I was completely rubbish, and everything you have just explained is exactly how I felt! Everything I done was utter tripe. infact, I dont think I finished one track in the 1st year of producing! It's all a big learning curve, and if you put the time and effort in, you will be rewarded. It may not happen over night, but it will, I promise!

Two years on from when I 1st started out, and every time I write a track I still learn something new, and I dont think that will ever stop. My productions have come on in leaps and bounds since back then, although I'm still nowhere near the level I would like to be. But, I know I will get there someday, as long as I continue on this road.

Being approached by a couple of labels back at the end of 2010 was certainly the push I needed to continue producing and bettering myself. And I sure as hell wouldnt have believed anyone two years ago if they had told me I'd actually release a couple of tracks!

So, if I can come from this same situation you are in now, to where I am now, then anyone can!

And the first period of learning is the hardest, when u grasp the basic its much easier to learn more aswell. thats my experience

sounds to me like you need to learn the concept of EQ, if everything sounds shit try buying/ downloading some new sample packs layering the kicks/snares then eq them I only started a year ago and ive picked up fairly quickly thanks to feedback and people on this forum helping me out :) + try adding dj's who are signed to labels on facebook they will give u amazing tips

New here. Hello. Never delete anything you do. You may come up with an idea for a track and the basis is already there. I must have over 70 odd unfinished. My 2 peneth.

what about trying to copy a tune you like, I mean literally, a fairly basic one, try to copy the pattern of the snares , try to learn to replay the bassline ect, not use a tune for inspiration, but basically try to remake it, that's a good way to learn and it's interesting,
just an idea, :|

Yeh if you are getting bogged down with how everything sounds shit then try and hook up with other producers in your area and sit and watch what they do. Having someone with you first hand will make things make a lot more sense.

I had studio time with a big producer and it showed me stuff that people spend years trying to figure out! try get in contact with producers that do studio time, bout £100 per day plus travel, and it'll help you get outta the rut you seem to be in :)

TBH i think a lot of the skill comes with knowing what it "should" sound like in your head before you start

I dont think you should worry too much about being a beginner, just keep cracking on, listen to what you consider your favourite tunes and aim to make something with a similar sound

Think about the whole EQ range, think about things such as drums sounding thin, or too toppy etc

Keep on at it and it will come in time ;)

thanks again for the supportive replies lads

i guess im just gonna keep chipping away at it and hopefully should make something half decent at some point

also im gonna try and keep working on tracks that im not really bothered about instead of just trashing them, just to get me used to building full tracks and understanding song structure and all that stuff

plus i dont think i could give up now anyway, ive got too much money invested in my set-up, haha

cheers

Last edited:
Trust me bro, keep at it.

I only started producing about 9 months ago, and my tracks are just now starting to not sound so novice.

I mean they arent professional sounding either, but its a major leap in the right direction.

check me out on soundcloud, i think i still have a really old track up and a more recent track. You can hear the difference.

Www.soundcloud.com/senindnb

ive been producing music for around 1,5 years now and only in the last 3 months i started actually finishing tracks ive been workin on. before i always quit at one point thinkin it sounds shit, but now im happy i didnt delete all this stuff because i can still use it to learn from it.

im still a beginner, and my skills are far from great, but i know that with every hour i spend on making music also my skills will increase, i dont care that much about how good my tracks are, my aim is to just spend time learning new techniques and developping my abilities.

imo at the beginning it doesnt really matter what you produce, the matter is THAT you produce...

i started writing about 5 and a half years ago, and i wouldnt happily show anybody anything past a a few months back. its constantly changing, the most important thing to remember is that while a very technical/theoretical field (music production) i think it still works in flows, that is to say the music sometimes flows and sometimes doesnt. if you have felt that passion before then it will surface again. But there is alot more to production than writing good tunes you must become a master of the processes

is important you practice and you build a library of sounds that are so sick that as soon as you feel inspired, your pallet has a range of gorgeous sounds ready to go as soon as you feel it. so build your sample collection and keep inventing bass patches and saving them, i done this for a long time now and i have loads of samples and bass patches. still cant write a decent tune but when i feel inspired them BLAW i will fuck shit up.. one day :) trust!!

---------- Post added at 12:11 ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 ----------

also start with something easier!! work your way up. you need to simplify things bro, dont try to make a complex tune. make a tune that you KNOW you can make and it will satisfy you

Back
Top Bottom