Sucks being a beginner.....

If you really want to make tunes you really must just put in a lot of time. Try not to hang yourself up on production either, productions something that can be fine tuned and it takes time. I have been making tunes on Cubase since I was about 16, I've come along way from where I was but there's still a lot of room for improvement. Always will be. Even these days I find my self scraping tunes. Start off trying to make a very simple tune. Beats, Bass and Pads. Try to find your own way of doing things, there isn't a right or wrong. AND POST YOUR TRACKS IN NEW TALENT, no matter how bad you think they are. I remember posting my tracks here when i first joined, they where pretty shit but all the feedback telling me what i could improve on was priceless. Hey, watch the interview with rockwell, he mentions how it took him 5 years to get his production to a professional level, but remember, we are all different, It could take one person 2 years and another person 10. Just stick at it, if you got passion for it then with time and effort it'll happen. ... I hope :P

Also don't get hung up on a tune, if you get bored or stop feeling it, don't delete it, save and start a new one. I have hundreds of unfinished projects, some 4 bar loops, some almost finished tracks. Try to try something new with each track you do. Eventually you'll start to find what works for you and then you will start to form your own style.

Last edited:
I agree you should NEVER delete your old tracks, you will have sounds on there that can be made to perfection once you figure out how to add the quality on them. Ive been doing this on and off for about 6 years, and have really gone at it since late 2010. If your having trouble with the mastering side, constantly watch tutorials (I know you said you have, but shit, watch them again, pause them and copy what the person is doing step by step) you may find you can add something better to what they have already done. Get contacts, get on AIM. For me, AIM has been the biggest help, collabing with other producers gives you an insight on how they set things up, how they go about their business, you can see what your doing wrong. Im not saying copy them, because you need your own style and own way of producing, but if you feel your at a dead end, its always helpfull to see a fresh track built differently to how you would do it.

You have to remember, there is no rules to producing drum and bass, just guidlines.

I remember listening to a 1xtra fab and groove show, with taxman as a guest. He was talking about supreme being's rise to drum and bass fame (as you may know, jaydan, orig sin, sub zero, taxman & supreme being are all one little crew from leceister) and supreme being was the only one who hadnt made it in the drum and bass underworld. Taxman said he locked himself in his house, and they didnt see him for months on end, as he went at it. Now look.

Keep at it, you will find over time that your skill and sound quality gets better and better. Also, if you delete your old stuff, you can compare or reference it to your new stuff, then you cant really hear the progress your making.

---------- Post added at 16:46 ---------- Previous post was at 16:40 ----------

I almost forgot, you NEED a decent pair of studio monitors or headphones, preferably both. Mixing on your standard pc speakers wont give you an accurate interpertation of what you are producing.

With producers their own worst critic is themselves! Instead of trying to make a full track that sounds like a pro has made it. Try making a melody that sounds like a musician has made it. listen to the tones and enjoy them!! I can get in certain moods where just pressing one key on the piano can touch a nerve. Go back to basics and unwind while making the music, and the music will make it's self.

Get creative, and by that i don't mean complicated. Some of the best sounds can be realy simple. Things to keep in mind are reverb and delay. There's nothing more satisfactory than a soft sound bouncing into oblivion.

First step to making good music is letting the music make it's self

Last edited:
With producers their own worst critic is themselves! Instead of trying to make a full track that sounds like a pro has made it. Try making a melody that sounds like a musician has made it. listen to the tones and enjoy them!! I can get in certain moods where just pressing one key on the piano can touch a nerve. Go back to basics and unwind while making the music, and the music will make it's self.

Get creative, and by that i don't mean complicated. Some of the best sounds can be realy simple. Things to keep in mind are reverb and delay. There's nothing more satisfactory than a soft sound bouncing into oblivion.

First step to making good music is letting the music make it's self

what the hell are you smoking and where do i get sum?? :teeth:

btw great post alex ;) and elmaruk also, great info from these 2. if u want to make it then work hard and lock yourself in a dungeon.

its true. nobody here luckily remembers the tunes i used to post. 2 years ago. after taking criticisms time and time again eventually those negative comments start to become praises and soon enough you'll be signing ...
take "keynote" and "indivision" as examples of how effective our production section is!

also theory and technique is really important they tell you "dont bother with that stuff just let the music flow" but the sooner you start to learn it the better imo

Last edited:
It's all a load of nonsense really. everyone these days thinks they can make a tune from scratch and do everything and master it and press it and then drive around in a van and distribute it. years ago labels on records used to say "written and produced by" "arranged by" "engineered by" "mixed by" not everyone can be good at all aspects of making music. some people have more flair for different things, it doesn't mean your shit. it just means you can't do everything.

It's all a load of nonsense really. everyone these days thinks they can make a tune from scratch and do everything and master it and press it and then drive around in a van and distribute it. years ago labels on records used to say "written and produced by" "arranged by" "engineered by" "mixed by" not everyone can be good at all aspects of making music. some people have more flair for different things

you only have to listen to a few tracks by modern dnb producers to realize that the line between writing music and production has blurred, and that they all understand sound on a level which puts them up against the best dedicated 'engineers', 'mixers', 'mastering engineers' in the business. allot of them run succesful labels to.

it doesn't mean your shit. it just means you can't do everything yet.

/\

unless your ears are fuked, or you are tone deaf, the only thing stopping you learning anything is your own determination to figure it out; except perhaps promotion, which is a pain in the arse

My best advice is to listen to as much music as you can, and listen to it hard. Try and pick out every element and every effect.

never-give-up-frog.jpg

Hang in there buddy!

try making little loops. like a 4 bars of a dnb drop, then add another 4 bars, and then another, each with a bit of variation, then try and make a little intro for it. Before you kno it you will have at least an intro and a kinda drop. If you do it in little stages it will be more manageable, and fry your brain less. Once you get the hang of that you can expand on it.

Back
Top Bottom