Successfully selling music online?

StrifeII

My mate has started running a small house/electro night and there's a few of us involved with it. The night itself is doing well, so we want to sell some music online under the same name to increase promotion. We're not looking at vinyl, just digital.

Anyway, I've sold stuff online before and had a half decent return from it, but what sort of techniques have you guys employed to sell more music? There's the obvious sending it to radio stations, youtube channels, splatting it all over facebook and soundcloud etc, but what else?

Why would we promote a club name with somebody elses label? And anyway, we havn't written the tracks yet - I think you're getting the wrong end of things here guys.

how do you promote a club by selling tunes? just put up some flyers, spread the word etc... selling music worldwide wont help the succes of your night i suppose - especially if you got no idea what youre doing.

youre basically asking us "how do i make a label and sell lots of tunes so my club night with the same name is going to get promotion" - i dont get it.

write tunes, see if theyre GOOOOOD, get yourself an idea on how to set up a label and then set up the label and youre possibly gonna sell some tunes. BUT thats not done on side of other things ..

---------- Post added at 16:18 ---------- Previous post was at 16:15 ----------

tbh your way better of if you get a good homepage!!! get some good! flyers, good! posters and some good! djs for your night.

then you could ask people playing at your night to do promotional mixes and host them on your neat little website along with other things like some little interview, or behind the scenes fotos etc pp.

lessssss time consuming and way more rewarding... in this day and age, only djs buy tunes im afraid, and djs arent the main punters - especially in electro/house

I'm not asking you how to run a label because like I say, I've sold music online before. I'm asking you for ways to promote it, not an idiot's guide to the world of music. What we are doing is promoting a name and a logo, and we are already promoting through flyers/internet/mix cd's etc. We've hired photographers for the event, got exposure on "whats on" pages and radio etc...this is a very different thing :)

Try to attach the music to some other idea so it becomes sort of a symbiosis. A video, some sort of podcast maybe. Give out 50 free track download vouchers at parties for 50 first guests (ie. bandcamp lets you do this with unique codes) - this will support both, the music store and the club night.

Set up as many 'social media' profiles for your idea as you can find. You don't even have to visit them all at a regular basis, just basic info, a few links will be cool.

All i can think of.

Cheers dude, plenty of good ideas...I like the download code thing especially, we have some regulars, although they're mostly the sort of "let's get drunk on cheap shots" types, hahah. :)

Cheers dude, plenty of good ideas...I like the download code thing especially, we have some regulars, although they're mostly the sort of "let's get drunk on cheap shots" types, hahah. :)

just gotta keep battering people with your stuff. eventually they will start clicking.

... or block you! haha

Get a deal with a good digital distributor.

They will upload it to all the usual suspects; beatport, bleep, juno etc.

Saves you time. (you need to do the IRSC though, only downside compared to doing it via a 3rd party label)

Oh, and make good music ;)

Cd Baby is a digital and hard cd distributor ;)

Yeah we started out with cdbaby for our physical releases.

For digital there is no support for important websites. No bleep, beatport etc. They simply don't accept new labels. You'll need a specialized vendor that has a screening procedure and is approved by bleep etc. (at least at the time we started with our digi distributer)

Back
Top Bottom