subgenres of dnb

this is how I see it at the moment

JUMP UP

basically split into 3 categories, hardcore wobble (nu school very very wobbly kool fm-ish sound) 'pro wobble' (think hazard, g dub, taxman etc) and commercial sounding jump up (think sub focus, culture shock, TC)

LIQUID

split mainly into 4 categories as well, there is the new influx of quite sparsely arranged but subtly well produced stuff (think lynx, alix perez etc) not sure what this is called

then there is your cheesy liquid from the hospital camp (think fatter snares and more obvious melodies from people like high contrast and danny byrd and perhaps Brookes Bros)

then there's calibre, in a league of his own imo :D

Finally there is very atmospheric liquid which isn't really being made so much anymore, apart from the likes of ASC etc, but which was introduced really by people like Bukem and PFM in the nineties. Think very atmospheric, long, slow moving tracks.

DARK

With dark dnb you have Neurofunk (big snares and fucking well produced basslines, think Noisia, Phace, Spor etc)

Bassliney simple stuff from people who tend also to make liquid tracks (spectrasoul, icicle, alix perez etc) and these are usually simple but effective and mixed in with liquid tracks

Drumfunk from the likes of Fanu and Paradox, not really about the fat snares or big basslines but about chopped up interesting drum samples and atmospheres.

Then there's your really dark-step which is interesting because whilst I'm quite into this sound, artists other than Current Value and Limewax tend to not amaze me so often, seems as though these two are leading the scene with the help of people like Donny and Dylan. This sort of dnb usually has very intruiging rhythmic patterns and nutty basslines, and is usually pretty noisy. I think it's an aquired taste...

...that's the way I see dnb at the moment, probably forgotten some types though...

ragga and jungle ar the same thing(yn)

Ragga and Jungle the same thing???? HAHAHAHAH!!!

Mate if your not sure about something dont give peeps false answers..... the poor guy might have gone to a Ragga event thinking he gonna be hearing "Police in Helicopter" or "Fire" or even "Arsonist"....... But instead seeing Capleton running around the stage screaming Cuyah Cuyah Cuyah!

In fact its a whole complete different scene. Ragga is very much MC orientated. DJs are not important at all. The only "well known" ragga DJ is DJ Vlad.... and yet he still doesnt get much recognition. Where as dnb/jungle its all about the DJs.... and not so much about the MCs.

Ragga = Capleton, Bounty Killer, Ninja Man, Baby Cham, Elephant Man..... etc.... (Rastafari bods who usually chat about killing chi chi men and preach about Jah)

Ragga is a type of Reggae thats alot more dancefloor drivin. No, it is not Drum'n'Bass nor is it Jungle..... It doesnt even resemble either of them in any way shape or form! Fair enough you might have heard "Bordaline Mobster" but thats not Ragga.... thats Ragga-Jungle!

Jungle = Demolition Man, Knowledge & Wisdom, Congo Natty.... etc...... (Bods who generally dont chat about anything other than police in helicopters or about arsonists)

Jungle is an early form of dnb with influences from reggae and ragga but in no way does it sound the same as Ragga.

I listen to Ragga alot and have been to alot of Ragga raves....... to be honest.... Drum'n'Bass MCs could learn alot from Ragga artists.

Just wanted to set that straight! hahahaha

why so much effort to classify?

to me it's jump up (2step)

and jungle (those crazy drum edits)

just because its 'dark' or 'atmospheric' doesn't make it a genre or even a subgenre

and the drums in 'raggajungle' are very similiar to those in 'jungle'.....the difference is instead of a reggae beat every once and a while, it's a hip hop one.

making them so similiar that the effort shouldn't be made to differentiate between them so much or even at all.

i could give examples of why i feel his way, if interested.

it's all drum and bass/jungle, people

the one exception....

dubstep

to me it's overdone hiphop. without the rhymes. with more cheese.

imo, of course.

djjj128 - way overcategorised.

I rewrote just about all of the wiki article a while back but I'm not a big fan of the different subgenre names/definitions.

I call it drum 'n' bass jungle or jungle drum 'n' bass.........fuck the sub genres.....if i like it i like it,i don't care about what style it is or what genre people have named it.

Dustek,you hit the nail on the head HARD!

Waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy too many catergories.

Last edited:
:rofl: theres now sub genres for sub genres??
how can you sub gerne jump up thats a sub genre itself:confused: seems like people are getting way to particular about it.
In my eyes these 4 types of dnb

JUMP UP -- LIQUID -- DARKSIDE -- JUNGLE

do we really need to classify further than that?

no real need to classify at all, and I listen to all dnb so long as it's good

that's just the way I see things going at the moment really... can take it or leave it I guess :)

:rofl: theres now sub genres for sub genres??
how can you sub gerne jump up thats a sub genre itself:confused: seems like people are getting way to particular about it.
In my eyes these 4 types of dnb

JUMP UP -- LIQUID -- DARKSIDE -- JUNGLE

do we really need to classify further than that?

word thats the 4 main styles of drum n bass, you can categorize yourself into ahole if you want but those are the significant ways of grouping dnb

Back
Top Bottom