SubFocus as a DJ....

TooEZ

Gibber Jabber
Messages
391
Likes
0
#1
Been meaning to post this for a while:

I saw SubFocus play in Nottingham recently, and I have to say that I was very pleasantly surprised by what I heard. In general, I have found that when producers take to the decks they aren't quite as tight as teh big-boy DJs; however, when I heard SubFocus play out, he was not just good.....he was awesome! Mr C has obviously been giving him some hints.....

Anyone else seen him play? Agree/Disagree?

Anyone know where to get an mp3 or two of a SubFocus set?

Thanks:boom:
 

$marty

Dexcell
Tribal Leader
VIP Junglist
Messages
18,519
Likes
2,279
#3
yeh gibs i saw him on friday at the end. He smacked it. He's a pretty good dj. Done a few teases and shit. Bit of a tit to talk to though. Big ups to Andy C. Had a five minute discussion with him on how much he had to drink. Proper safe bloke. Also got him with "Andy mate, you got something on your shirt" (andy looks to his shirt in disbelief) BAM! flicked him right in the nose!
 

xen

...innit
VIP Junglist
Messages
514
Likes
2
#4
When Sub Focus did his little mix on the Breezeblock a while back I thought it was pretty nicely mixed. Not outstanding, but sufficiently good to listen to more than once.
 

Fazer

wat
VIP Junglist
Messages
737
Likes
3
#7
Agreed, I think Sub Focus is a top notch DJ. Thats what it should be like, a good producer, and a good DJ. It fucks me off how so many producers get put on the bill when half of them cant even mix...
 

Serum

Well-Known Member
VIP Junglist
Messages
2,101
Likes
153
#8
$marty_B said:
Also got him with "Andy mate, you got something on your shirt" (andy looks to his shirt in disbelief) BAM! flicked him right in the nose!
Hahah these big names think they're so clever, HAVE SOME OF THAT, HOW YOU LIKE THEM APPLES!:uberlaugh :uberlaugh :uberlaugh

I'm gonna go all the way to essex so I can ring his doorbell then do a runner

But seriously everyone I know that's met Andy has said he's sound, can't say fairer than that.
 
Last edited:

apples

WINNER is back ;)
VIP Junglist
Messages
1,185
Likes
5
#11
$marty_B said:
Also got him with "Andy mate, you got something on your shirt" (andy looks to his shirt in disbelief) BAM! flicked him right in the nose!
shoulda got your phone out and recorded that! but then it may have been dubbed as happy slapping :S

i'd like to hear a set from sub focus defo, what sorta tunes did he play? if you can remember....
 

logikz

I Am Not The King
Tribal Leader
VIP Junglist
Messages
11,117
Likes
2,984
#12
Serum said:
Hahah these big names think they're so clever, HAVE SOME OF THAT, HOW YOU LIKE THEM APPLES!:uberlaugh :uberlaugh :uberlaugh

I'm gonna go all the way to essex so I can ring his doorbell then do a runner
EAHAEAEHAEHAEHAEHAEHA :lol: :lol: :lol: :boxing:
 

$marty

Dexcell
Tribal Leader
VIP Junglist
Messages
18,519
Likes
2,279
#14
xen said:
Hehe.

I'm sure if you didn't run off, he'd invite you in for tea and dubplates.
LMAO I Would say Andy is probably more a scone/cream cake type of guy. Oh yeh big up serum. Saw your lil article in ATM :slayer:
 
Last edited:

TooEZ

Gibber Jabber
Messages
391
Likes
0
#15
Clapples said:
shoulda got your phone out and recorded that! but then it may have been dubbed as happy slapping :S

i'd like to hear a set from sub focus defo, what sorta tunes did he play? if you can remember....
The last SubFocus set I heard sounded like it had come straight out of Andy C's back pocket....in fact I found it hard to believe it wasn't him.....maybe he got some hair extensions and a bit of botox done for the night....!

P.S. Peeps - got his breezeblock set on mp3....but I don't know how to upload it...if anyone wants to listen....tell me what to do! :rowley:
 

Sammy Dexcell

Stop editing my profile Smarty!
VIP Junglist
Messages
2,090
Likes
128
#16
Subfocus is gettin there, his sets are gettin alot better more teases etc.
He's sorta wat i wanna be.....a producer who dj's his own sick tunes! (self-publicity) one of the easiest ways to make it in the dnb scene good luck to him he's gota make way tho :)

$marty one of the funniest things i watched, i wish my fone had battery i wouldve recorded it lol hahahha andy is well safe, top bloke!
 

Dustek

Finished the PhD
VIP Junglist
Messages
5,911
Likes
15
#17
Sphinx187 said:
Subfocus is gettin there, his sets are gettin alot better more teases etc.
He's sorta wat i wanna be.....a producer who dj's his own sick tunes! (self-publicity) one of the easiest ways to make it in the dnb scene good luck to him he's gota make way tho :)

$marty one of the funniest things i watched, i wish my fone had battery i wouldve recorded it lol hahahha andy is well safe, top bloke!
I don't know about that playing your own tunes. I think a producer should and can a play a few of his own tunes (VIPs or dubs especially) when djing but he should also be playing other producers. Self-promotion is okay but its about getting people dancing, not selling your own ass (Paul Van Dyk/Tiesto...?).

I'm very iffy about the whole producers who dj and djs who produce setup, especially the first variant. There are plenty of great djs who don't produce - because they are too busy gigging or just haven't got a deal.

There was an article in Knowledge a while back about how the whole dj=producer setup is unfair as its a vicious circle, if you don't play you don't sign and if you don't produce, you don't play. People go to see name producers because of their albums and singles, not because they're slamming great djs. There is a shitload of crossover in the talents and skills you need to produce AND to dj but you can be a crap dj and produce great tracks and vice versa.
 

DJ Verdict

Mastermind Records
Messages
41
Likes
0
#18
$marty_B said:
yeh gibs i saw him on friday at the end. He smacked it. He's a pretty good dj. Done a few teases and shit. Bit of a tit to talk to though. Big ups to Andy C. Had a five minute discussion with him on how much he had to drink. Proper safe bloke. Also got him with "Andy mate, you got something on your shirt" (andy looks to his shirt in disbelief) BAM! flicked him right in the nose!
lol, bet he was pleased about that....
 

fullbull

Ragga Junglist
Messages
5
Likes
0
#19
Hmm haven't seen Subfocus out in Australia...don't think he has toured since taking to the decks...but, I could be wrong.

As a producer, he is right up there for mine. Nearly everything I have heard by him is bloody awesome. Some of the most catchy tunes around, and it seems like every dnb DJ around the world is playing his tunes.

At our local dnb club in Perth, all our resident DJ's spin his tracks, but it would be awesome to see him hit our shores sometime soon.

As for a Subfocus set on the net, I might be able to direct you guys to one, but I will have to confirm that the link is still working. PM me if you would like the link.

Peace out fellow junglists...
 

fullbull

Ragga Junglist
Messages
5
Likes
0
#20
xen said:
When Sub Focus did his little mix on the Breezeblock a while back I thought it was pretty nicely mixed. Not outstanding, but sufficiently good to listen to more than once.
The set that I have found is the set at Breezeblock that you mention. Hopefully it works for you guys, as it's the only one that I have found after searching high and low.

Here is the link...enjoy!!!

http://www.megaupload.com/de/?d=223UZ50G
 
Top