Sub goes mental whenever a low key C is played?

SynesthesiaC

I've go an issue with my sub. Its not exactly the best sub in the world (a £50 Sony Set for PC) but does do the basics OK. But the major issue I've noticed the last few days is that whenever a bassline I play has a C note in it it properly resonnates, and this note comes out about three times louder than all the other notes. Only with a C, a B note or C# do nothing. It fucking sucks. Makes any tune sound unbearable when theres a deep C note played, things start vibrating off the walls!

I guess its to do with the specific ressonant frequency of the C pitch.

So i'm basically screwed, right? Nothing I can do about it?

So, any recommednations for a real good set of speakers and sub for about £80-100?

lol unlucky man sounds like the resonance is tearing your sub apart. get some alesis m1 monitors. they have a nice flat frequency range imo.

It's got nothing to do with the properties of your sub. It's a standing wave issue, caused by your room acoustics. When the right frequency bass bounces off a wall it amplifies itself in the right phase. Sort of mirroring it, so it sounds twice as loud. It doesn't affect your tunes, it's just a problem in monitoring. A quick fix for that problem is changing the position of your setup or just the sub. Move it around and play low notes, to find the best spot (least resonance things). A better solution would be to start acoustically treating the room you're in. Bass traps in at least 4 corners of the room (a cube has 12 corners remember) will help wonders. Placing your setup along a longer wall helps. Also adding some reflection absorbing things on walls is useful. It doesn't need to be 2000€ professional acoustic stuff, a bookshelf, a heavy cloth or such will also do.

edit: found a nice page on SOS for this stuff - http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/May03/articles/studioinstal4.asp

Thanks for the advice, but I'm pretty sure it is the sub as I've used it in three different rooms. My uni house, my normal house, and in my mates flat. Every time it goes nuts. When I listen to Logistics - The Trip the bass kick drum must be roughtly a C pitch, because it completely ruins the song. All i get is a huge BOOM BOOM every second!

Gonna have to upgrade me thinks ...

Well it can't hurt to upgrade. Funny how we spend so much time trying to create really nice sounds and then we listen to it thru shitty headphones or cheap speakers. Kinda like painting in the dark.

i'll take a stab in the dark and say that it could be the due to the frequency response of the sub

Can someone point me the right direction for a decent £50-100 speaker system I can get in the UK? I've got a habit of getting really bad subs and speakers. The shops dont often let you crank the DnB up full volume to test them before you buy them :)

Might be able to push it to £150 very maximum. As without a decent sub its not even drum and bass. Its just drum. Kinda pointless.

My mate got a banging logitech speaker/sub system for £84, half price after christmas. Most deals are over now.

Or anyone got a good old set they'd sell me?

I'm not an expert but I don't think you should be buying pc speakers. which are probably designed with basic gaming or general pc things.
Look for some monitors, designed for listening to music productions etc. I hear what you're saying about having a sub to crank out the bass but you actually need something with a flat frequency response, something that provides no boost or colour to any part of the frequency range. Then you'll be getting a closer idea of what your track really sounds like.

There's been some threads here recently about monitors. Have a look at those too.

if your making tunes then buy some monitors. if not go to richer sounds and get a cheap hi-fi amp and speakers. imho

Might be able to push it to £150 very maximum. As without a decent sub its not even drum and bass. Its just drum. Kinda pointless.

My mate got a banging logitech speaker/sub system for £84, half price after christmas. Most deals are over now.

Or anyone got a good old set they'd sell me?

just paid £160 with postage for m1 mk2's. managed to knock that down to £110 with money i had in my paypal + a 10% off promotional code they had. there around a year old or so, but still a bargain. keep looking around ebay daily until something pops up. don't forget to get actives though (y)

Last edited:
These? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alesis-M1-Act...3|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

Going for £219. Hmm. Bit too much. Might have to make use of my overdraft. From USA vendors they seem to be cheaper, about £180-200. But then you've got postage. Most Uk vendors are selling for about £250-£300 new.

there the ones, wait for a set of them or krk rokits appear on ebay cheap from the uk, it's worth the wait to snap up a bargain.

you could also try a set of them new alesis 520 usb's.

Back
Top Bottom