Sub Focus - ???

Right.. lets settle the debate on time signatures once and for all.

Timewarp and bodyrock are 12/8 because 12/8 is a curious timesignature which allows 4 beats but it still has triplet rhythm because it seperates 12 quavers (1/2 beats) into 4 groups of 3 giving u that boom ta ka, boom ta ka, boom ta ka, boom ta ka feel. It means there are 3 half beats to every common time beat in the bar 1 1/2, 1 1/2, 1 1/2, 1 1/2 with a total of 6 whole beats in a bar, and 12 half beats (quavers).

Bodyrock drums in one bar goes:
B-SBBSB-SBBS
i.e bass, pause, snare,bass,bass,snare,bass, pause, snare,bass,bass,snare

if you want il break down the beats as well

1. bass,pause,snare, 2. bass,bass,snare 3. bass,pause,snare 4. bass,bass,snare

Go ahead and try and mix Bodyrock with a 4/4 dnb tune. You will see for yourself that even though u can match the beats the groove and hits of the tracks will clash completely. The reason why it stays in sync is because 2 4/4 bars have passed by the time 1 12/8 bar has passed.

The reason Timewarp is slightly more mixable (but not much) and the reason why it sounds in common time is because the beats are actually offbeat for the 12/8 arrangment making it sound like a normal rhythm or groove when listened to on it's own. But again try mixing Timewarp with another 4/4 tune it wont sound too bad but it some of the beats will be am quarter of a beat out. Then mix it with Bodyrock and see how the two sound perfect as none of the beats or hits are out.

Now... what sort of a music student would i be if i didn't quote or source my information and knowledge.

quote: "2001 Shimon and Andy C release "Bodyrock" - first drum n bass tune to feature a 12/8 groove and breaks the UK's top 40 in 2002." K mag July 2008

"Lets compare 4/4 and 12/8. Both have 4 beats. In 4/4 there are 4 crotches or 8 quavers, but in 12/8 there are 12 quavers, grouped into 4 groups of 3. Compound time signatures as these have distinctive rhythm or "bounce""The Little Book of Music Theory and Musical Terms

I'm not having a go at ya boob junkie, it's just when timewarp came out my m8 told me it was 12/8 and i was like "waaaahhhh???" I went and did my homework/research and found out it actually is!!! i was a sceptic at first but its right. I love pursuing knowledge and being told what I think is wrong if the argument fits. But this is simple musical and mathematical fact. If you really don't believe me go and ask any music professor or even sub focus or andy c for that matter. I have no hard feelings on this debate I just know i'm right and don't like it when people are very sure of a fallacy.

I hope this music lesson has not been too geeky for sum of u and i hope its clear.

i was going to type a much worse explained version of that that would of made no sense to anyone so thank u 4 beating me 2 it! thats really well explained though man, nothing geeky bout taking a real interest in music!

So to conclude, can we just say dont mix timewarp anymore because:

a. It has now been overplayed

b. It sounds bad when mixing it with any other tune, apart from body rock

Does anyone agree or should i leave?

i keep listening to this, proper grower.

loving the white noise riser and the 'shrieky' bits... proper minimal techno influences there.

Oh and Wizz you taught me something, hero :D

it does get overplayed your right,

but i like teasing it into mixes to add a bit of umph and flava, but i hardly ever let it play at all tho due it being a bit tiresome these days.

the last phrase before the breakdown (after it goes "time is changing") it turns into 4/4 for one phrase.(thats why it feels like the tune has been switched up so much and also hence the meaning of vocal sample because the time (signature) is actually changing ahaha) and it does the same with the last 2 phrases of the song so it can be mixed. I usually just tease the last two phrases of the tune and then back to the mixing! lol.

also there is an increasing amount of these types of tunes with the waltz esque groove. namely "french fuck" by the dirty phonics which my m8 benji k calls a "poor mans timewarp" lol. smash t.v has it also. sub focus has made it cool or fashionable to have these triplet rhythms in songs since the arival of timewarp.

this is why sub focus is such a fucking legend, he takes the rules and boundaries that make drum and bass music and uses them in ways never imagined before whilst the rest of the scene all try and copy and play catch up. from an outside view u cud say he throws the rule book out the window , but instead he bends and manipulates them. as he says, he doesnt wanna be remembered for making dnb, but fast dance music instead!

Last edited:
Wizz man ya genius you've made everything clear now about this whole 12/8 business!

As for timewarp I still can't play it without gettin calls for a rewind so in my eyes it can never be to rinsed (until this voyager ting comes out of coarse)

haha boring is blattently not what you thought when you first heard it! This was a banger that has now been rinsed..Heard this too long ago to appreciate it anymore, but definately not boring!

i didnt like timewarp when i first heard it...and i see how it can get boring.

but when i heard it on a big system while it wasnt mixed with something i loved it

a. I agree with you, It has been played to death and personally I havent played it since November. But, Still the tune goes off

b. It doesnt sound bad at all in the mix, if your gonna mix over the triplets part you soon run out of idea's although if you bring tunes in when the 'Time is changing' vocal comes in you'll never run out of sick mixes, 16 bar 4/4 tease on the first drop, 32 bar 4/4 mix on the second, one of my faves has to be Too Bad VIP, nothing more than simple anthem bashing but causes chaos on the dancefloor everytime!

a. I agree with you, It has been played to death and personally I havent played it since November. But, Still the tune goes off

b. It doesnt sound bad at all in the mix, if your gonna mix over the triplets part you soon run out of idea's although if you bring tunes in when the 'Time is changing' vocal comes in you'll never run out of sick mixes, 16 bar 4/4 tease on the first drop, 32 bar 4/4 mix on the second, one of my faves has to be Too Bad VIP, nothing more than simple anthem bashing but causes chaos on the dancefloor everytime!

mine is definately with xample the coma

Back
Top Bottom