sub focus on radio 1

It's been getting tons of play. Been on Jo Whiley, Annie Nightingale, Zane Lowe, etc. He'll be on Fabio's show this weekend (Sat night 2am-4) (y)

timewarp-sleeve-1.jpg

defffoooooo lovin that artwork

stay forever is a chooooooooon i js wished i listened to radio 1 now!

Just heard sub focus- timewarp being played on radio 1 mid day which i thought was pretty cool

fair play, i know choons bein played on radio 1 and stuff does masses for the scene and i am made up artists are gettin quality recognition, but for me it kind of does my head in, i am made up that subfocus is getting the airtime and the respect to him, he deserves but it kind of wrecks my head especially gettin played in midday, cos i would love to keep it underground, and not go down the same road as pendulum, it kind of takes the edge off it i think....

but fair play for anyone who gets a choon out on radio 1 thats a massive step in a career nuff respect to any1 who can do it.

Last edited:
fair play, i know choons bein played on radio 1 and stuff does masses for the scene and i am made up artists are gettin quality recognition, but for me it kind of does my head in, i am made up that subfocus is getting the airtime and the respect to him, he deserves but it kind of wrecks my head especially gettin played in midday, cos i would love to keep it underground, and not go down the same road as pendulum, it kind of takes the edge off it i think....

but fair play for anyone who gets a choon out on radio 1 thats a massive step in a career nuff respect to any1 who can do it.

I do see your point mate. I think there has to be a balance kept between getting played on radio 1 mid day and going full bore into the mainstream and selling out kinda thing

As for the "underground" vs "mainstream" thing, that all depends on the music. Timewarp for example is Subfocus doing what he does best. He has not changed his music in any way to make it more mainstream.. that's just the kind of music he makes. Pendulum on the other hand completely changed their sound to cater to a mainstream audience, that's the difference.

Also with dnb, it is kind of funny when you think about what constitutes a "mainstream" artist/song. Like if you said to someone that you liked Subfocus, TC, Hazard, etc. that would be labeled as "mainstream". But what is "mainstream" in dnb? Selling 10,000 units? Most dnb artists are making little to no money off their tunes, only their DJ bookings. So really, even someone as "mainstream" in DNB circles as TC, is still "underground" in the grand scheme of things :D

I can tell you from Subfocus that he has gotten tons of ads and page hits on Myspace from being on Radio1. Many people that are hitting him up don't know about dnb the way we do. If artists are maintaining their sound and not changing it the way Pendulum did, and more people can find the music, then great. People that are hardcore into dnb always tend to think that anyone who likes a "mainstream" Subfocus-type song for example can never like anything else in dnb. Well have you ever met somebody that likes both hip-hop and rock? The differences between hip-hop and rock are far greater than the difference between Subfocus and (insert "underground" dnb producers name here).

As for the "underground" vs "mainstream" thing, that all depends on the music. Timewarp for example is Subfocus doing what he does best. He has not changed his music in any way to make it more mainstream.. that's just the kind of music he makes. Pendulum on the other hand completely changed their sound to cater to a mainstream audience, that's the difference.

Also with dnb, it is kind of funny when you think about what constitutes a "mainstream" artist/song. Like if you said to someone that you liked Subfocus, TC, Hazard, etc. that would be labeled as "mainstream". But what is "mainstream" in dnb? Selling 10,000 units? Most dnb artists are making little to no money off their tunes, only their DJ bookings. So really, even someone as "mainstream" in DNB circles as TC, is still "underground" in the grand scheme of things :D

I can tell you from Subfocus that he has gotten tons of ads and page hits on Myspace from being on Radio1. Many people that are hitting him up don't know about dnb the way we do. If artists are maintaining their sound and not changing it the way Pendulum did, and more people can find the music, then great. People that are hardcore into dnb always tend to think that anyone who likes a "mainstream" Subfocus-type song for example can never like anything else in dnb. Well have you ever met somebody that likes both hip-hop and rock? The differences between hip-hop and rock are far greater than the difference between Subfocus and (insert "underground" dnb producers name here).

Thats the point I've been trying to make to people over the internet for ages to try and make them understand what mainstream means etc. Very well put bro, wise words indeed.

wise words mate...fair play....i cant see subfocus changin his sound for the non dnbers and fair play to him for gettin such a stonken choon (timewarp) to the masses.:thumbsup:

amen.

Back
Top Bottom