Sub Bass

Mango-

Mercury Eater
Where do I start with Sub Bass?
I read somewhere that I should start with sub bass on the same places as the kicks and then adjust it
What do you guys think?
Also how should I EQ the sub?
-cheers

i like to get a big old reece, and lowpass it into a sub. you could eq a dip in the sub round 100 hz to make space for the sub. but there isnt any 'should', its entirely down to the sound

I've been taught to basically copy the midi for your bassline and pitch it down a couple octaves
then eq it at 100hz or whatever

sub bass... if you got a nice rich synth going, a simple sin wave played low down will be all you need!

So, youre asking on how to get started on bass altogether?

I think its much more creative and productive to start on something other than beats and bass completely. I find a sampled clip with a cool violin progression, a nasty cheesy vocal from a movie, an inspiring synth preset to get me started on a melody, a mystical chord, a scale....

Then I start thinking what kind of beats would suit that theme or what kind of bass would go good underneath it. And that's basically just emphasizing the rhythm when it comes to when hitting the bass and emphasizing the melody when it comes to choosing notes.

Thank-you thats what I meant, at the moment Im getting stuck, I cant seem to get any inspiration. everything I make since I learnt more about arrangement seems boring and drawn out.
I will have a listen to your tracks and try again thank-you

Edit: I think I need to learn more about Chord progression & harmonic framework

Last edited:
there's a way to make a good sounding subbass without mudding anything...

on any synth (if it has self-osc it's twice better) get a sine wave, turn it's octave down untill you think its in the subbass freqs. Now add a filter after that (if the synth has a filter use it), Low pass filter with resonance at a very high level, then make a quick sweep with the frequency parameter on the filter and see that theres a point where the freqs in your subbass sound way higher, search for that freq range and adjust the freq to it (i'd rather put the reso at max and then turn it down at this point).
Now you have to make the filter to follow the keyboard (few filters can do this...) so when you play higher notes the filter opens and when you play lower the filter goes down in the freq range. If you don't have any filter capable to follow keyboard strikes, resample the note you like the most and bounce it again on your sequencer.

Try it and you'll say "thanks" if I explained it well... sorry for my english, i'm spanish... ;)

Back
Top Bottom