Sub Bass

To add: Limit and compress the fuck outta it aswell, as its so mono it can be done with good results, and of course harmonic excitement on the the sub freqs works a treat too!

Yeah I do that sometimes. I place another EQ after the dynamics processing though as heavy setting can cause saturation and create unwanted noise

Just use a simple synth, i use 3xOSC (Flstudio) then just use plugins to make it sound bassy, EQ it, maybe add a small bassboost, bit of overdrive too :)

There's two approaches you can go for:

Approach 1
1. Load a simple sine wave (pitched down an octave) and adjust the attack and release slightly in order to prevent any unwanted click noise. I find that the default patch of the EXS24 to be quite lovely for this.
2. Using either a channel EQ or the synth/sampler EQ/Filter, cut off the high-end info down to around 100 - 150 Hz or so. This will "smooth" out the sub.
3. Mild saturation and/or sidechain compression (if your tune has a deep kick) can help flesh out the sub a bit.

Approach 2
If your tune has more of a "complextro" feel where there's lots of movement and several different synths/sounds being used:
1. Set the output of all your bass sounds to a bus. We'll name the bus "All Bass."
2. Set the output of "All Bass" to nothing.
3. Setup 3 sends of "All Bass" so that they're being sent to 3 new bus'. We'll name them "Hi Bass," "Mid Bass," and "Sub Bass."
4. Solo Hi Bass and low cut somewhere around 1kHz – 2kHz. Unsolo.
5. Solo Mid Bass and set the channel so that it's mono. Now low cut around 200Hz and hi cut around 900Hz (making sure the highest audible frequency is slightly below Hi Bass' lowest frequency). Unsolo.
6. Solo Sub Bass. Set the channel to Mono. Hi Cut down somewhere around 100Hz and low cut to 30Hz. Unsolo.
7. Now set the output for all three of these bass sounds to a new bus we'll call "Split Bass." Add compression or other processing tools you feel are necessary to this bus as well as each split part (ex. maybe a bit of phase distortion on "Hi Bass" to add movement).

Please note, the EQ values I've set above are not set in stone. Each bass sound will require different EQing, so use your ears.

Cheers.

Just use a simple synth, i use 3xOSC (Flstudio) then just use plugins to make it sound bassy, EQ it, maybe add a small bassboost, bit of overdrive too :)

THIS - i only ever use 3osc for my sub and tbh - i get some big subs from just using the right root note to get the rumble and tbh a tiny tiny bit of reverb never goes a miss

reverb on anything below 150 is a big NO. Anything causing phase issues issues is a NO. Anything causing even ordered harmonics (a good overdrive, not distortion) is a YES

a lot of the detune comes from sounds that have been highpassed a lot of the time so they don't interfere with the proper low frequencies. sub focus touches on it in his reese tutorial. definitely worth a look.

i use a lot of samples tbh. even layering and effects on the original reese rumble bass has yielded some good results with time. if it works, it works...

There's two approaches you can go for:

Approach 1
1. Load a simple sine wave (pitched down an octave) and adjust the attack and release slightly in order to prevent any unwanted click noise. I find that the default patch of the EXS24 to be quite lovely for this.
2. Using either a channel EQ or the synth/sampler EQ/Filter, cut off the high-end info down to around 100 - 150 Hz or so. This will "smooth" out the sub.
3. Mild saturation and/or sidechain compression (if your tune has a deep kick) can help flesh out the sub a bit.
This! Pretty much every producer video I've seen using Logic have used the default EXS24 sine patch and a lot have a hint of distortion/overdrive/saturation to add some harmonics/warmth.

I was using a preset in Sylenth for my sub but I found it wasn't rich/full enough. Tried the 3xOSC (Noisia has suggested this one) and I found the sub to have more body. Just followed a few tips in here ie overdrive and compression and the difference is amazing.

Back
Top Bottom