Sub bass question

mistasfx

MISTA SFX
VIP Junglist
just listening to some tunes and wondering.... do producers layer over sounds over their main sub on such things like this.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhlzq5R_71g 8 seconds

when i make my subs, i layer them with my main synths but on gaps where i want just sub..... the tunes sounds a bit bare so im thinkin i need to layer up subtle sounds over the sub to bring an audiable sound into the mix.

thoughts??

I find sometimes, instead of creating a simple sine wave sub, I create a reece bass and lowpass it. This gives the feel of the low end sub, but with more harmonics.

as long as you are careful about kick crossover, you can use any sound you like, I like to use a little distortion or harmonic exciter on the low end (very subtle), for extra grr.

Dont forget pitch bends, they add allot of movement to bass and can make a simple sine seem allot more alive

I usually layer a low volume square wave over my sine wave subs then low pass the whole thing, just to get a little "buzz" giving the sub a bit of texture.

Pitch bends are also golden!

I usually layer a low volume square wave over my sine wave subs then low pass the whole thing, just to get a little "buzz" giving the sub a bit of texture.

Pitch bends are also golden!

Spot on!! By layering a high passed bass with a bit of "dirt" with the deep low end sub, you add a nice deal of warmth to the overall sound. To add, the high passed "dirt" sound will allow people listening on ear buds or small systems to hear the sub even if they can't feel it.

I personally take out everything below roughly 200hz from the bass sounds and I replicate the melody with a pure sine wave.

Back
Top Bottom