Sub-Bass Pattern

Shakelturn

Sub-Bass Pattern [Jump-Up]

I'm trying to produce some jump up stuff (mostly mainstream) and fail to make some fat bassline. I would like to know just basic things about pattern structure > to create this punchy groove how many sub-bass notes/chords are there ? (approximately). I guess it's a basic structure and I feel notes are doubled to give this float impression, isn't it ?

Please help me to be a better guy in my life :teeth:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to produce some jump up stuff (mostly mainstream) and fail to make some fat bassline. I would like to know just basic things about pattern structure > to create this punchy groove how many sub-bass notes/chords are there ? (approximately). I guess it's a basic structure and I feel notes are doubled to give this float impression, isn't it ?

Please help me to be a better guy in my life :teeth:

Well, I'm not positive on this but I am pretty sure he created a bassline, exported it as an audio file, and reversed it on playback. Can be done in FL Studio (what I use) by simply creating the bassline on your piano roll with whatever synth is giving you the sound you want and then draw one pattern of the bassline onto the main automation. Then select the bassline pattern using the right click to "highlight" it. After that hit export track, name it/choose file type, and then under the export setting hit "Export Selection" (IIRC). Open the file location and simply drag and drop it back onto the main automation and it will automatically create a sampler. Open the sampler and under the precomputed effects choose to reverse the sample.

Either that or he is using some sort of filter with a fairly long attack, but I'd put money on the former.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I'm not positive on this but I am pretty sure he created a bassline, exported it as an audio file, and reversed it on playback. Can be done in FL Studio (what I use) by simply creating the bassline on your piano roll with whatever synth is giving you the sound you want and then draw one pattern of the bassline onto the main automation. Then select the bassline pattern using the right click to "highlight" it. After that hit export track, name it/choose file type, and then under the export setting hit "Export Selection" (IIRC). Open the file location and simply drag and drop it back onto the main automation and it will automatically create a sampler. Open the sampler and under the precomputed effects choose to reverse the sample.

Either that or he is using some sort of filter with a fairly long attack, but I'd put money on the former.

On second thought I might not be listening to the same bassline that you are, because there are several.

Ok many thanks. My question is specific to sub bass in some jump up tracks, even if I'm pretty sure there no universal rule.

Listen to this one:

You can clearly hear sub-bass pattern with several short notes and rythm/notes lenght/silences between notes. But in many jump up tracks I hear long notes with a kind of tremolo effect:

OR this is simply short notes that are sequenced so close :confused:
It's soooo groovy !

Those are some of my favorite track you linked lol. I would try some sub bass (basic sine) with adding some reverb and delay to it. Alot of it can be accomplished by playing with the attack, decay, and sustain on a filter too. Multiple different ways to get the same sort of end results.

- - - Updated - - -

Idk if this is the sort of sound your looking for, but this is a simple example of what I'm talking about. It is pretty simple really. I just used ReFX Nexus with the preset Bass >> Basic Sine and ran it through Fruity Delay 2 and played with the Time and Offset settings.

do not put reverb on your subbass this is bound to fuck up the whole mix

If you want to do these mainstream kind of things then you should look out more for the mids and just layer a sine sub with a bit of overdrive or a little bit of a square wave beneath that

also give the sub some slight attack und release to get rid of these klicks like in the sample above

there are no set rules to get a good bass and if any of us were as good as these examples we probably wouldnt be on here :teeth:

also im pretty sure that i didnt fully understand the question or what you wanted to know, i mean i doubt anyone can help you out with a goove as thats something you usally find out yourself or thats really hard to explain through text (if it is at all possible)

Of course you want to run some attack on the sub bass. I got lazy because I made that sample in under 5 minutes lol. I was just trying to get an understanding on what he is after. He said something about a tremolo type effect which can be achieved really quickly with the use of some delay.

I'm glad this is out here as I am trying to achieve the same thing. I am getting close, but not there yet. I work in Logic, and am posting up a screen grab that may help, and maybe someone can pitch in as to where I am going wrong in my chain.

The part making the biggest difference in Massive is the Envelope4 moving it's attack and release based on the compression att/release. But I want this to be punchier. Anyone else tried something similar?

vm7l6yN.jpg

also im pretty sure that i didnt fully understand the question or what you wanted to know, i mean i doubt anyone can help you out with a goove as thats something you usally find out yourself or thats really hard to explain through text (if it is at all possible)

I'm pretty sure you fully understood what I didn't manage to explain with my poor N00b vocabulary and my french accent :teeth:

Seriously my question was: is there any pattern or structure for sub-bass in jump-up tracks as above, regarding rythm/sequencing ? And how to make sort of floating sub-bass roll effect ?

But you're true, experimentation and a non focus on lower frequencies are perhaps the key ! I used to produce jungle tracks and automaticaly started with sub bass.

@Corinator, @mynameisToby thx mates I will try this (I work on ableton & massive) ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Another criminal:

I'm searching how to make this tidy rolling sub bass groove. And that's it. Thx

I'm pretty sure you fully understood what I didn't manage to explain with my poor N00b vocabulary and my french accent :teeth:

Seriously my question was: is there any pattern or structure for sub-bass in jump-up tracks as above, regarding rythm/sequencing ? And how to make sort of floating sub-bass roll effect ?

But you're true, experimentation and a non focus on lower frequencies are perhaps the key ! I used to produce jungle tracks and automaticaly started with sub bass.

@Corinator, @mynameisToby thx mates I will try this (I work on ableton & massive) ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Another criminal:

I'm searching how to make this tidy rolling sub bass groove. And that's it. Thx

If you're looking to create a staccato/running style sub bassline, you can try to experiment using a combination of a midi sequence (or Arp pattern) that consists of 8th or 16th notes and then adjust the attack and release of the amp envelope of the synth you're using for your sub bass. Ideally, you want just enough release so that you don't get that "clicking" noise and you want just enough attack so that your kick will not clash with your sub bass. To add, the slight increase of the attack value will also create a bit of a shuffle/ducking feel that you can definitely hear within "higher," which IMO is one of the finest drumstep tunes ever written. Jay (tantrum desire) has some serious skills when it comes to creating heavy (sonically speaking) tunes. Perhaps throw the tune in your DAW and check out the spectrum analyzer to see if you find where the fundamental frequencies are hitting hard.

Another option to get that running staccato bassline feel is to use a plugin that emulates a bass guitar–the plucking characteristic may produce a more defined, driving bassline that you're after.

Cheers.

Very nice and constructive answer thank's ! I can't more agree with you about Jay skills when it comes to make track speaking (he's one my favourite producer). His melodies are perfect choices of scale, chords structures and this is definitivly the way I want to follow :2thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom