Sub bass layers....

dj-dusty

VIP Junglist
In trying to make that distorted layer for the sub that a lot of jump up producers use (original sin, taxman, heist etc)

I would of thought it was two detained saw waves, high passed with some bit crusher or something but I can't seem to get the sound.

Anyone got any tips or even know what I'm on about lol

I don't usually use too much distortion on my subbass, but neither I can say it's only a sine wave. When you highpass a sound don'ty you take away all the low frequency? I don't believe this is right for a sub bass, IMO.

Im not talking about the actual sub, im talking about layering it with a distorted sound and high pass it, seems to fill out the track loads

do you mean the "shhhhhhhh" sound? I learned this by watching a video from boyinaband.com, in the darkstep tutorial. The guy made it by using a highpassed crash cymbal on every note. Is this it what you're talking about? If not, I'm sorry by not understanding the real question.

Yeah I know what you mean, its usually just a high passed and distorted sine wave to help the sub come through more on smaller speakers

In Ableton I usually frequency split my sub at around 150 then overdrive/distort the tops

Have a look for the Loadstar tutorial, they do something similar in that

I have found that with operator in abelton you can use a sine for your sub layer then FM with a square wave an octave above. Maybe mess with the amp env on the square wave to have it come in a little delayed, adds some interest to your sub, and also helps bring it out on the lower speakers, as you start the FM an octave above, the sub stays quite intact.

I use a single sine wave, link it to the mixer, bus that channel to two channels - bypassing master - keep one clean and the other distorted and then high passed. If you add a low pass filter with automation and then a reverb to the end of it [still on the high passed channel] you can get some nice movement in your sub and fake a lot of bass for poor speakers.

when i do my bass, i have a universal present i layer with it i call is "subbass air"

its basically the same note as my sub one octave up highpassed to fuck with a bitcrusher on then i applie the same compressor etc im using on my sub to get the sidechain, movement etc..

It's so difficult to get right, I have tryed loads of these suggestions but just can't get it to sit right, my mate talked about splitting the sub bass frequencies to two channels (one high one low) and adding distortion to the high end and then blending and compressing them together and that's as close as I've come to getting it to sound right, still just sounds like it's making the mix muddy and cluttered though :(

- - - Updated - - -

I'll post a clip of the tune I'm talking about and maybe you can give me some feedback

How much does the sound fill the spectrum? If it is muddy maybe a notch around the 250-400 range might clear it up a bit?

I think Original Sin etc. just used to use a really highpassed saw wave that was constant throughout the tune to give it that layer of buzz, I imagine it would be a case of getting it in there and then eqing and distorting it etc. and taking the level right down until you can barely notice it amongst the rest of your bass, but then if you mute it and suddenly feel something's missing then you've probably got it just about right.

Back
Top Bottom