Style Change

Listening to Rupture on Rinse, I realise, in what is surely one of the oddest style changes seen in this music: Eveson (mostly liquid) changing into Dead Man's Chest (jungle). It's not often you get something like that.

I had a big rant about the state of the neuro scene a while back on here, and Phace and Noisia got the brunt of my frustration.
But there's a few more to add to that list - Jade, Mindscape, Black Sun Empire, State of Mind etc etc the list can go on.

Neuro used to be hard and aggressive, now its just a massive wub fest. Which is why i stay well clear of it now, sad really because, believe it or not, I used to be a massive fan of Hardware, Vision, Barcode, Freak blah blah and the 'original neuro sound'

Who do you find is pushing the sound you like nowadays?

Who do you find is pushing the sound you like nowadays?
What in general? Or you mean neuro wise? I dont listen to neuro at all anymore, not been a fan of it for years and years now.
I mainly follow the Cylon / CX / UVB sound whenever I listen to dnb now, although i've mainly moved to techno

What in general? Or you mean neuro wise? I dont listen to neuro at all anymore, not been a fan of it for years and years now.
I mainly follow the Cylon / CX / UVB sound whenever I listen to dnb now, although i've mainly moved to techno

In general. If you liked BSE, Evol intent, noisia, Phace, etc. work in the mid-'00s, but find them rinsed out now, I was wondering where you turn for a hard sound. I was thinking that the hard and aggressive sound didn't disappear from dnb. But, in 2018 it's found a different expression. I think Headz latest output from Detboi and Phase are a good example of where the fury is going.

I sympathize with moving on. I've been flirting with house and techno sets, but, I haven't had that one epiphany set, where I see the music in a whole new light yet.

Still pretty hooked on dnb.

In general. If you liked BSE, Evol intent, noisia, Phace, etc. work in the mid-'00s, but find them rinsed out now, I was wondering where you turn for a hard sound. I was thinking that the hard and aggressive sound didn't disappear from dnb. But, in 2018 it's found a different expression. I think Headz latest output from Detboi and Phase are a good example of where the fury is going.

I sympathize with moving on. I've been flirting with house and techno sets, but, I haven't had that one epiphany set, where I see the music in a whole new light yet.

Still pretty hooked on dnb.

Good question really. I suppose Headz is the obvious choice, 31 has been doing interesting things from what I gather.
'Hard & aggressive' pretty much describes all dnb really, I suppose in the neuro scene I just meant the aggression seems to have been replaced by pure noise really. I mean compare Noisia - Block Control or Phace - Crevice to any of say, Killbox's new material and it's just totally different, for me its just unlistenable.

Like I say for me personally it's labels like Cylon or UVB that are putting out some of the darker and more aggressive tunes. Overlook's new release on UVB caught my attention recently, as well as Pessimist's new(ish) LP
It's sad really, i've been into dnb for 12+ years now but it just doesn't hold the same excitement as it once did, techno's my new love now I think

Good question really. I suppose Headz is the obvious choice, 31 has been doing interesting things from what I gather.
'Hard & aggressive' pretty much describes all dnb really, I suppose in the neuro scene I just meant the aggression seems to have been replaced by pure noise really. I mean compare Noisia - Block Control or Phace - Crevice to any of say, Killbox's new material and it's just totally different, for me its just unlistenable.

Like I say for me personally it's labels like Cylon or UVB that are putting out some of the darker and more aggressive tunes. Overlook's new release on UVB caught my attention recently, as well as Pessimist's new(ish) LP
It's sad really, i've been into dnb for 12+ years now but it just doesn't hold the same excitement as it once did, techno's my new love now I think

Overlook and Pessimist are good shouts. They've been making some interesting music. kind of reminds me of Scuba, even if Scuba makes dubstep.

I haven't been into much neuro. I listen to Noisia's podcast occasionally. And I generally enjoy what they play. I've been going back and buying old Prolix, Maztek, Basher, etc. records from 10 years ago. But, as far as a modern neuro sound? I'd say Xtrah is the cream of the crop. But, that's not quite an informed opinion. I just feel like he's still pushing an interesting sound while not straying too far from his roots.

Even if Xtrah's sound has more in commmon with DLR than Spor or Noisia. It's still a harsher, futuristic vibe.

Back
Top Bottom