Stuttering when i play my tune over in fl studio?

Discussion in 'Production' started by Code:Red, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Code:Red

Code:Red Defiant

yo yo yo!
    i brought fl studio last week and i've been making a start on producing my first track, but when i begin to play the whole track over so i can have a listen, it seems to kind of stutter and lag almost, my cpu hits 20% max so i no its not that, does anyone else have any ideas wat it might be? also i tryed burning it to a disc and i played it out of my cdj's and it didnt stutter then.
    thanks!

2. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Hi code red, its a latency issue. Basically your cpu is trying to process too much info too quickly, and as a result it "lags".

Open FL Studio, and got to the options menu/audio settings. In there you will see a slider named "buffer length". Slide that to the right a litlle and try again. You basically want to have the slider as far to the left as possible without it distorting. move it gradually and test it, rinse and repeat until it sounds clean

3. Code:Red

thank you very much mate, thats great! sorted the problem in one! cant thank you enough! been bugging me for a couple of days now!

4. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

lol, no problem mate. I know how you feel. Wish I had someone to tell me the same thing a few months back when I 1st started! Took me frickin ages to figure out!

5. Code:Red

haha, i dno what i would have done without this forum lol

6. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Tis a good community for sure. Wish I had found it sooner! Only been here a month.

7. Dr_apocalipsis

Dr_apocalipsis Dr_apocalipsis

Hei, I have an important advice to you.

The latency editing will help you at the current time but when you will get into more complex stuff, you will run into this problrm again.

CPU usage is ONE of the factors that causes latency issues (lags)

It is also a Sound Card problem - not being able to process all the tracks at once (low of no support of the ASIO Driver) if you audio card is an entertainment card, then the ASIO driver will start useing your CPU to render the audio.

My suggestion - To avoid that, you need to buy yourself a MIDI/AUDIO (PCI - !!!) interface. These interfaces are designed to take the maximum amount of renderign on it so that's the CPU will get as low usage as possible.

This is true experience as if I'm the one who has observed the effect.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009