stupid question

candymang

VIP Junglist
I've recently started to use the camelot wheel for mixing in key. Chemical gives you the keys to most of the recent stuff over the last few years. Some tunes are not listed with a key, how can I figure the key out for these tunes? Btw, I play only vinyl so a mixing program online isn't going to work. Any of your help is greatly appreciated.

Right mate basically what you have to do if u dont want to rip your vinyls to mp3 and use a 3rd party software is put your shoe on your head

or you can get a keyboard an play each note untill it sounds like its in key with the track playing an hey presto

if you're musical or if you just have an instrument around (guitar, keyboard, whatever.. even an online keyboard will do - http://www.bgfl.org/bgfl/custom/resources_ftp/client_ftp/ks2/music/piano/index.htm)

play the song then play the keyboard until you find a note that sounds good with all the other notes in the song - the key note; it should be pretty obvious which one it is because its the note which when you play it the song sounds most complete and finished. then once you know that note just look at the key wheel to find out the number. To find if its A or B (major or minor) basically just listen and compare to a tune you know is major or minor. If its minor and your playing it with a tune you know is major then it'll generally sound sombre and 'sad', and vice versa.

hmm not sure.. in MIDI usually the number is for how high or low the note is. If you go up an octave from one note to the same note in the next octave up you usually increase the number by 1, so you'd have C1, C2, C3, C4 etc, and they'd all be the same note, just c2 is an octave above c1, c3 an octave above c2 etc...

Back
Top Bottom