DnB Studio Walls

Nick Hammer

I am putting a new studio in my garage tomorrow, It will be a fully inclosed 2.4 sq room lined with MDF within the garage, Just wondering if any one has any ideas regarding what to do with the walls (as i cannot afford acoustic foam) All im trying to achieve is - I do not want the room to be like a big sub box.

Any help would be tops

Accoustic foam or eggboxes will not deal with the low end buildup in the room. You are going to need bass traps, prefferably in the corners of the room. I've made a couple of them myself but if you can't afford foam right now they may bit a bit out of your price range. If you are interested I can point you in the right direction but they cost about £50 to build two at the very least. A very basic alternative, which may help is hanging thick duvets. It's not going to look good, but it will provide a small difference.

You will have a lot of reflections from such a small room, which will be a big issue for clarity in the high mids and highs. You mention that you cant afford foam, but for £27.00 including delivery of 24 tiles, it really is the best way to treat the problem.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24-Acoust..._Equipment&hash=item5af0d5ea84#ht_8253wt_1141

If you want any more advice drop me a message.

Thanks , yeah i looked in to egg cartons seems that its more of a myth then anything - ( more for sound deflection) I do plan to buy some acoustic foam at some stage including bass traps however in NZ its expensive.

I have set it all up now , hung a think blanket on the back wall - makes a small difference however I think my monitors are probably to beefy for the small space (BX8's)

Time will tell :)

thanks heaps for the info :)

If you're JUST worried about bass accumulation, bass traps are really all you'll need to worry about; but honestly, if you're taking the time to BUILD a studio, you might as well treat it right the first time.

Measure it out. Get a mic and RoomEQWizard and go to town, you can build a lot of acoustic material at home with the right parts. There's another program, QRDude, if you're running Windows you can use this to map out the blueprints for home-made diffusers (which will be built specifically to diffuse the standing waves and resonant frequencies of the room and introduce a more linear phased sound to the entire space) cut from different lengths of wood and applied to a single surface, then mounted to the wall.

your right, I do want to do it properly the first time & do intend to get traps for corners and panels for walls etc - I do use windows (mostly) and will look into the mentioned software ,

Thanks heaps for the helps - didn'y really expect the room to have quite as much reflections etc during construction ha (teaches me)

Speaker placement can make a shit ton of difference too if you can't afford to treat your room. Try a few different locations if you can, if not, get some stands so you can lol ;)

We moved our speakers back 6 inches and it literally changed the whole bass response of the room.

Yeah I need to move mine, at the moment they are banked into the corner's of the room (as the desk space is limited) - being rear ported i'm sure its not helping ,

thanks for the responses , I will folllow up with the outcome and what works etc..

Do you have the user manual for the speakers? 99% of the time the manufacturer will include exact specs of what angles to place the speakers at and how far from the wall for the best phase response.

Back
Top Bottom