Studio Tips

giph

Sup everyone,
I started making beats a little over 6 mo's ago, and I cant seem to finish a single trak.
Got alot of good Ideas but no finished material.
Is there a method to finishing a beat other that just concentration(ie.mathmatical)?
How long should each segment be.(intro/break/1st v./break/2nd v./outro)?
Sould I start by working on how the beat will sound through the entire trak then,
go back and add the bass lines through he entire trak?
Then the ambient stuff and synth etc.?

Im looking for an easy way to stay organized.

A little bit of help from some pros would be greatly appreciated by someone
who wants to make a contribution to a scene that has done so much for him.

Thanx.

Very common problem amongst producers (both new & experienced)

i've found it can be really helpful to study the structure of other tracks, for example choose a song (relatively simple, Dillinja is perfect to start with), get yourself a pencil and some grid paper, and see if you can map out the song's tracks on the grid. You'll begin to get a feel of how a track should be structured, how long the intro should be, how long before the second drop etc etc...

Onto the second question, there's 2 main methods of producing, "top to bottom" or "left to right" (those are names i just made up). Left to right would be where you started with just 1 or 2 tracks and mapped them out for the entire 6 minutes, then started adding more tracks. Top to bottom would be where you got yourself a 20 second loop of many tracks, and then tried to stretch it out over 6 minutes - which is the more common approach...

I really think the pencil & graph paper thing will help you alot though, hope it goes well! (y)

Affliction said:
i've found it can be really helpful to study the structure of other tracks, for example choose a song (relatively simple, Dillinja is perfect to start with), get yourself a pencil and some grid paper, and see if you can map out the song's tracks on the grid. You'll begin to get a feel of how a track should be structured, how long the intro should be, how long before the second drop etc etc...(y)

I'm gonna have to do that, if nothing else just out of interest, thanks for the idea.

Affliction said:
I really think the pencil & graph paper thing will help you alot though, hope it goes well! (y)

Or try to copy a track in a sequencer... not an exact copy but put a drum into your track when one drops in in the original, drop a bass when a bass appears, do a break down when one happens in the track.

It won't be the same track but it will be built like a good one.

Back
Top Bottom