Studio speakers - I need some speakers but have no idea

SamDale

Hi everyone

I need to buy some studio speakers for my music production(DNB). I have been searching for some for a wile now but to be honest despite my research I don't know what is beter or worse. I don't perticuly need to play my music very loud but I do need presision and good qulity and for it to play a huge bass well, which my current speakers can't do or take.
I've been looking at the m-audio av40.
Any recomendatiobs will be grately appreciated.
Thank you Sam

I'm looking to pay around £80 pounds as i won't be able to pay more. If there is an amazig deal on however I might pay more like £100.

dont go out....
lock yourself in your bedroom....
save money....
buy some decent monitors....
you need them.... treat your room to... .

Adam A7 or Makies Hr824 all the way... flat and
has the power to go deep....
need the large driver and cones to reach low
enough.... it dance music your writing....
the main weight of your tune should
be sitting between 50 and 200hz....
if your speakers are rolling off steeply
at 100 this means you have no real idea about the
low end....

hello mate,

you do get what you pay for with monitors and your well worth saving back and getting a pair for like £200 - 300 - Mackies are fantastic, plenty of bang for the buck.
Yamaha make excellent monitors at good price points too with excellent flat frequency response. (the reason its flat is so it does not colour the mix and is transparent) Cheaper Mackies are the 'Tapco' range of speakers which are also pretty good.

if you want deep low bass i would suggest something with woofers of 6" - 8"

will 6" - 8" go low? i thought 8" was punchy bass, where as 10" you started getting the rumble?

depends on the size of the room your gonna be using them in.
Active monitors (self amplified) are alot louder than they look, and of high quality

if your in a fairly normal sized to large room, like a big bedroom or summit, 8" is more than enough if they are 200 watt or something like that, alot of dudes go with quality over wattage in my experiance because its the most important element of the monitor - nice flat response, high quality sound, great connections. and of course they look good;)

you might think about connections of the back, as this might impair your decision

most are XLR or Stereo Jack, but some, like the Mackies for example may have an RCA phono input or even an ipod connection.

hope that helps mate

my 2pence,
save up, spend at least 200 quid. i'd say 8" speakers are generally too big (unless your control rooms huge). the mackies are nice but completely different to the adams. the mackies are probly better for dnb, the adams are a more "revealing" speaker but with less bass than the mackies. i've got both hr624s and a7s in my house.

cheers for all your advice.

Heres the thing though, you all say save up and spend £200 but only a few months back this m-audio av40 was at £200 lol. so the price dropped loads. i here it may not have enough bass and so i respect peoples views at the site cus it is a DnB site so we all in the same boat. I mainly want good qulity speakers im not fussed about the power, i have a mediam sized bedroom. Yet what i really need and want is speakers that arn't going to get distorted when i am playing my bass.. i just wan't it good qulity, and as prices are dropping im sure i can get good speakers that have been out for a wile and are around £100. what do you all think, thx again
Sam

I spend about £120 on a pair of M-Audio BX5a after they came out quite well in a blind monitor group test. Got the matching sub (BX10s) aswell and I'm very happy with them. Don't know how accurate they are cos they're my first pair so have nothing to compare them with but they go loud and stay clean. They actually commented on the surprising bass responce of the monitors by themselves in the review. I'll post the grouptest if I can find it.

the M Audio V40's look ok bro, but i get the feeling you want more bang for the buck and need something that can take the weight, therefore you need something thats got a little more in cone size or wattage, or both, and also the good manufacture to boot. if its fair / average size room, a 5" pair of high quality will rock the room trust. the only other thing i can think of is if you were maybe a fair distance away from your monitors (unlikely) and needed a bigger projection. seriously though man, its all about quality - i remember seeing some bose / bosse speakers a few years back that were fuckin tiny but sounded like they were 5 times the size.

the M audio's you looked at are def a good deal, its just what you want to do with them will kill them in time i reckon lol

i reckon they would be pretty good.

# 130 watts (rms) per speaker
# 2 way
# 8" kevlar low-frequency drivers
# 1" natural silk high-frequency drivers
# Xlr balanced and 1/4" balanced/unbalanced inputs
# Bi-amplified
# Magnetically shielded
# Power indicator
# Volume control
# Stylish vinyl-laminated mdf cabinet

£229 on htfr.com - a bargain

that's what I'm thinking. I've read nothing but good things about them as well (read multiple times that engineers prefer them to mackies at twice the price).

Anyway's I think that link I posted was to a discontinued model - here's the latest (bx8a)

http://www.soundware.co.uk/sc/products/M-Audio BX8A (Pair)

EDIT: seems like I posted the link to the latest model and not the old one. n1c3

Last edited:
that's what I'm thinking. I've read nothing but good things about them as well (read multiple times that engineers prefer them to mackies at twice the price).

Anyway's I think that link I posted was to a discontinued model - here's the latest (bx8a)

http://www.soundware.co.uk/sc/products/M-Audio BX8A (Pair)

I would def give them a look if i was in the market for a pair and i had just over £200 to lash on em. one of the cheapest 8" + quality ive seen. excellent price point, most 5" - 6" decent makes go for that, even a pair of Tapco s5's are about 200 nicker. also M Audio have quite a good rep

KRKs are meant be good for cheap...
Havent had a chance to have a listen
but gota few friends who rate them...
good choice...

Yahama NS10Ms - the mother of all studio monitors.

Since buying a pair of these speakers two years ago the quality of my production has shot through the roof. They don't make them anymore though so i'd look hard for them and expect to pay a premium even for 2nd hand ones.

Anyone who says they are too flat and lack low end response is kidding themselves.

are these decent?
KRK RP5 G2 ROKIT

found them on a german site for 150 € ... should i buy them (2 of 'em) or should i prefer the M Audio BX8A or what it was?

Greets,
BeeOtch

Yahama NS10Ms - the mother of all studio monitors.

Anyone who says they are too flat and lack low end response is kidding themselves.

They are to flat....
but thats what makes the great...
if its sounds good on Ns10 it sounds good on anything....
great monitors...
studio standard translation monitors....

Hey, I'm also thinking of getting some BX8As, but one question (and this is really stupid), how would I connect them to my laptop? If they only have XLR and 1/4" jack outputs, would I need an audio interface, such as the m-audio firewire 410, to connect it to my macbook? I know I could probably use a 1/8" headphone TRS to 1/4" jack converter directly from the laptop but would that compromise sound quality? I'm confused... Any advice? Ta.

Back
Top Bottom